• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder upper gear with oiling hole?

Janne339

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
2021 Sidewinder LTX GT
Just bought the stock Sidewinder chain and upper 21T gear to upgrade my turbo Viper.

Hole drilled for oil. But no hole through the bushing so it reaches the shaft. Should it be that way?

20171201_140829~2.jpg
20171201_140718~2.jpg
20171201_141858~2.jpg

Hole needs to be thru like Scott Taylor makes his. Yammy/cat copied his design.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I had mine apart that upper gear is locked to the shaft in forward.
It only moves on the shaft when in reverse and backing up. So who cares about a oil hole since it rarely if
ever moves on that shaft?

I meant the shaft rotates in the gear when backing up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I had mine apart that upper gear is locked to the shaft in forward.
It only moves on the shaft when in reverse and backing up. So who cares about a oil hole since it rarely if
ever moves on that shaft?
You would think that but it does wear out. Not as much as the 2012/2013 cats did when there was too much clearance on that top gear. The bushing then would wear out at around 2500 miles and skip out of gear. Now it's better with stronger jackshafts and only around .015 clearance for the gear to move. I would replace that bushing at 5000 miles now.

You would think that but it does wear out. Not as much as the 2012/2013 cats did when there was too much clearance on that top gear. The bushing then would wear out at around 2500 miles and skip out of gear. Now it's better with stronger jackshafts and only around .015 clearance for the gear to move. I would replace that bushing at 5000 miles now.

But once again in 99.9% of the time it's locked to the shaft. So additional lube would do nothing. Is the bushing flattening out under pressure or actually wearing out?

wearing out , making the gear wobble on the shaft, it then spits out of forward gear

Thanks for answers guys! :)

But once again in 99.9% of the time it's locked to the shaft. So additional lube would do nothing. Is the bushing flattening out under pressure or actually wearing out?
It's not locked on the shaft, it meshes with splines to the reverse gear. It has some side free play around .015 and does move some when on and off throttle. Not a lot but it adds up since its so hard to get lube into that bushing. One reason I always apply synthetic moly to the bushing when servicing the chaincase. Scott taylor sends this gear out with moly on the bushing as well. I also run synthetic ATF in chaincase to get into there better.

What’s the purpose of the hole? If oil can’t get to the shaft it seems pointless to have the hole.

What’s the purpose of the hole? If oil can’t get to the shaft it seems pointless to have the hole.
The bushing is suppose to have the hole in it also so it can get in there on the shaft. I would just drill it out like mention previously.

The bushing is suppose to have the hole in it also so it can get in there on the shaft. I would just drill it out like mention previously.
Ok. So my next concern would be, are the new sleds coming with this hole drilled or should we be checking them?

Back