• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder XTX OEM Saddle Bags

sab2022

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder S-TX GT
2020 Sidewinder XTX touring shown and the crappy OEM Saddle Bags tie wrapped. The plastic on plastic channel locking system (middle left rear of bag) deforms as the plastic lock slides out of the channel (need to use two hands and a knee) BUT once locked you don't want to disturb it. The keyed flip lock next to the tie-wrap also keeps it closed but must of cost 50 cents and I have no idea if its locked or open (key has trouble being inserted). Another owner of this model sled said
saddle bags.jpg
he had them pop open on the trail. If I do a warranty I'll probably get one good one out of three, tell that to the dealer. I kinda know what the long term answer is but for now I kinda like the touring plastic saddle bag look as long as you don't open them.

I know 99% of you don't have Yamaha saddle bags on your SW. Sometimes a [vehicle] warranty claim ends up in a better part then what was provided in production. Anybody experience this with Yamaha? The saddle bags are hard plastic and the locking assembly is soft rubber. Considering putting them in my oven at 350F to remove the warp, but the plastic locking system is not going to change in the oven.

However I think the final solution, other then not using them at all, is not using (trusting) the locking system and going with an external locking system like a bungee cord, or some external locking system like a hasp. etc (quick open/close).

Any thoughts on an external lock functioning like the zip-ties shown above? Thanks

You could get velcro wire/cable ties. They would probably be the perfect size to go around the handles. Not sure about their reliability in the snow/ice though.

Hmm the industrial Velcro may work, Ill check it out. Thanks good idea and light and quick and no bounce

2020 Sidewinder XTX touring shown and the crappy OEM Saddle Bags tie wrapped. The plastic on plastic channel locking system (middle left rear of bag) deforms as the plastic lock slides out of the channel (need to use two hands and a knee) BUT once locked you don't want to disturb it. The keyed flip lock next to the tie-wrap also keeps it closed but must of cost 50 cents and I have no idea if its locked or open (key has trouble being inserted). Another owner of this model sled said View attachment 157334 he had them pop open on the trail. If I do a warranty I'll probably get one good one out of three, tell that to the dealer. I kinda know what the long term answer is but for now I kinda like the touring plastic saddle bag look as long as you don't open them.
I have the same problem, right from the show room the cases had problems. I took 2 back to the dealer and got 1 replaced under warranty. SAB, you are spot on about the cheap plastic latching system and the locks, also you are right, they do look good but don't look too long because they will pop open, I had that happen a few times on the trail last season. I'm surprised they passed muster at Yamaha...they just need a better latching system, the plastic slide is no good and like all plastic, it doesn't get stronger with time. I'm thinking of using a velcro wrap on the handle so I don't loose my gear. It's too bad because they are good looking and hold a good amount of gear..just don't want to fill above the opening because your stuff will be gone. Yamaha should have a total recall and have the manufacturer make a more solid latching system...I mean they cost $500+ I'm sure they could come up with something better...fit and finish...eh. Joe

Joe that's why I posted this thread based on your experience with these darn things. I mean this in blatant quality issue in order to sell the machine from the showroom floor and I guess it worked. They are totally unusable. I'm going to use a industrial Velcro strap (from Depot) and one those little bungee cords as a backup. If the Velcro holds with the bumps I get rid of the bungee. Probably replace the Velcro each year. (I like use these boxes with my gloves on.) Joe also going to wrap the inside w/ with Bubble wrap and maybe the storage area below the rear deck (double sided tape)

SAB, great idea on the bubble wrap. Next time I go to Home Depot I will look for the industrial velcro, I don't want to loose my safety gear that I pack inside, such as first aide and survival kits, a change of cloths to be dry also go into my bags/case, it's crucial these bags work as designed for safety in case of life threatening event.
It would seem to me that Yamaha touring bikes would have a solid fiberglas saddlebag, my neighbors Harley does, they snap in real tight. These cheap plastic non-sealable are not Yamaha quality and no where near worth $500. I think they were designed to be waterproof because of the gasket but either of my bags/cases are not. The latching system will never hold up to the 4 year warranty that came with the sled...Yamaha is going to have to come up with a solution to fix these defective bags/cases.
I will contact Steve B., he has the same machine and ask him how his bags are standing up...Steve has not had his sled on the snow yet, he got an end of season deal on his STX-GT, maybe he will chime in. Joe

Skip the bubble wrap, and look for Neoprene. Can get it in different thicknesses and it wont hold water.

you could always vac seal your emergency supplies to keep them water proofed. started doing that with my registration and insuranse cards as ziplock bags where not cutting it.

The bubble wrap is to protect against the bounce when the item hits the hard plastic (rattle) , not waterproof. Sorry If I confused. I'd have to get a waterproof bag if I wanted stuff waterproof.
BTW - Along with the Velcro I got a product called "Gear Tie". Find it next to the ratchet straps. Its 12/10 gauge wire encased in rubber... you can keep your gloves on.

upload_2020-12-9_18-50-8.jpeg

The bubble wrap is to protect against the bounce when the item hits the hard plastic (rattle) , not waterproof. Sorry If I confused. I'd have to get a waterproof bag if I wanted stuff waterproof.
BTW - Along with the Velcro I got a product called "Gear Tie". Find it next to the ratchet straps. Its 12/10 gauge wire encased in rubber... you can keep your gloves on.

View attachment 157812
the neoprene should be a more durable option to the bubble wrap to protect against the bouncing.

you could always vac seal your emergency supplies to keep them water proofed. started doing that with my registration and insuranse cards as ziplock bags where not cutting it.
thats a good idea, it would help keep first aide from getting contaminated.
I cant understand why Yamaha would accept a defective product and pass it along to their customers, it baffles me..these latches are not going to work...they are not working now as brand new imagine the frustration of trying to keep your gear on the sled when the latch fails all the time...yes, I get it, we got to Micky Mouse it. At $500+ I would think the customer would deserve better. I will velcro so I don't loose my gear, if it self destructs I will ask for warranty replacement...the rest of the sled is totally awesome and we love it, ..can't wait for snow...thanks for the ideas on lining the case..bubble wrap or neoprene, both will do the job. Joe

View attachment 157812
that looks like a good product, wrap around handle to keep it from spilling gear out..thanks for sharing. Joe

The Velcro doesn't really work because of there's adhesive on one side of the Velcro and the little bungee cord works if you want fool around with it for 5 minutes or practice. The best solution is Gear Tie (10/12 gauge wire). Once you get it tied then you can use the plastic saddle bag locks.

upload_2020-12-10_17-45-35.png

I can see from your photo, just below the sliding latch that the case is not completely closed, this is the problem of these cases not lining up and a plastic latch that doesn't have the strength to seal the case. They are nice bags and attach to the sled superbly...thanks for the info on securing the bags from opening. I feel total confidence when I ride this sled, its incredible...just going to have to keep an eye on the saddle bag. If the saddle bag won't close at all from the plastic wearing out then I know Yamaha does warranty them:yam:

Back