• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

signs of a bad starter?

dexter

TY 4 Stroke Master
weird thing going on with the sled... turn the key a couple of times and nothing. turn it again and bam, starts right up. It did this a few times over the summer and its just odd. after i run it for a while I shut it down and it will start at first turn. I will check my battery connection, but is this a sign of a bad starter or relay? trying to getting a pan of attack if my cables are tight.

new last march..dont think that is the issue. no issues turning over. it is like the kill switch is on kind of... just dead for 2, 3 or so turns of the key and then it starts. shut her down.. let her sit a minute and wam it starts at first turn of the key.

are there known issues with the ignitions or starters? oh, this is my wifes 05 rs venture by the way...

starter

Had to change ignition switch on my 03 RX 1 w/11,000 miles . last ride of last season sled would cut out, not restart. You could see black areas in the white connector to ign. switch, was a tip off ! ;)!

Re: starter

Traildemon said:
Had to change ignition switch on my 03 RX 1 w/11,000 miles . last ride of last season sled would cut out, not restart. You could see black areas in the white connector to ign. switch, was a tip off ! ;)!

can you give me a visual reference? what and where am I looking??

Re: starter

Traildemon said:

can you give me a visual reference? what and where am I looking??

If I remember, the starter relay is on the inside of the loop near the fuses. That went on mine a couple of years ago. It did the same thing. Only it finally died in the middle of that place where there is nothing.

hold the key to start and wiggle the wires around the solenoid. If this works or not, try running a wire to ground from the negative side of the solenoid. sounds crazy, but it worked for me and many others.

could be like mine. peice of plastic broke off in key switch and was blocking the start terminal some times.

Indy- what does the seleniod look like and where is it roughly?

The relay was on the left side looking at the sled from the front. At the front edge of the motor.

Starter

I was referring to the ignition or key switch. If you loosen the shroud to access the key switch, you can see white plastic connector on the back. If any of the wires seem blackened it is a poor connection.

Back