• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Single ply track on boosted sled?

I am running a powerclaw on my sled as are I think alot of other mountain guys. I guess it may be a big deal if you run 120 mph but I am not sure.

kinger said:
This track would see highspeed runs as well probably in the 120-130 range for a short few seconds every now and then.

Hmmm at that it seems quite scary. A track coming apart at that speed(ground Speed) would not be a fun ride.

Bumping to the top 6 years later (jeesh time flys). It appears the single ply was no good for boosted power and speed levels. Has the technology changed? Are sidewinders all on single ply? I'm thinking like a 153 or 155" cobra or backcountry. Thanks all!

FWIW I'm told by dealer that 129 & 137 Winders are 2 ply & longer tracks are 1 ply.
Friend has 2015 1200 Doo Precision Turbo 250 hp with 96 Grand Master Studs as per track pattern. 3000 miles , no pullouts.
Another friend has 300 hp Precision Doo with 144 Grand Master studs in middle. No pullouts in 1000 miles & he rides hard.
We did switch him to a 2 ply &. 192 Megabyte studs this year.

I installed a 2.86 pitch 163" Peak 2.5 single ply hard durometer track on my Stage 2 Apex. I cut the lugs down to 1.5 inches as I definitely don't need any bigger lug then that.
On my first run over 130mph I lost one lug. I don't know whether it tore the lug off on acceleration or at the higher speed...probably a combination of both.

Switched him to 2 ply because there was a issue with the single ply? Would you run a single ply? Thank you

No issue with the one ply.
He bot sled used & did not like the stud pattern.
He races some & wanted four per row with the pattern we have used successfully for years with Megabytes. That required the 2 ply for durability. He also wanted 1.9" studs.
One ply works fine as long as you use one ply big head studs & the suggested pattern based on our experience with 3 sleds.
I will only run 2 ply as I stud em up more than the track manufacturers put marks on for. That's because I do a bit of drag racing.
If I was only interested in safety I would run 1 ply with the recommended pattern without hesitation

Last edited:
I am hearing positive reviews on the Composit tracks on other forums.

Back