• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ski shimming

kokonut

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 XTX Nytro
been searching for "how to" and benifts of shimming ski's on an xtx.I had heard it had been covered here but can't seem to find it.Any direction or info apprecated :rocks:

thank you,I think that is the one i heard about,the hunt is looking up...lol

The perfect shim height for the Nytro is achieved by turning the rubbers around. No other shimming is required, been doing it like that since 2009.

i shimmed the skiis on my 2009 nytro xtx last winter made a nice improvement. i work construction, and got a couple pcs of 3/8" structural rubber shim to use, it turns out thats what my glass guy uses on his cat also. cut it to the width of ski, placed at the rear of stock ski rubber and reintalled the bolt, worked perfect. SPECIAL THANKS TO BERGSTROM..... very good reading material if you hit his site. not hard to find material, just hit up a commercial glass shop and for a couple of dollars your hooked up.

cheers....billy

I just bolted up the new tuner skis to my 08. Do you think I still need to shim the skis, or turn the bumper around?

gade-thrasher said:
I just bolted up the new tuner skis to my 08. Do you think I still need to shim the skis, or turn the bumper around?

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Somehow, I don't think so, but let's see what the gallery says?

Dave

gade-thrasher said:

Check them. Park on concrete and look under the ski. Front of carbide should be slightly off the concrete. If it's not it needs to be shimmed. Or you could also give it a ride first, you'll know then.

yox185 said:
The perfect shim height for the Nytro is achieved by turning the rubbers around. No other shimming is required, been doing it like that since 2009.

Thanks! Will try this out! :4STroke: :rocks:

I turned rubbers and added shims. You can find plastic shim stock that is perforated in 1/4in strips and perforated along the wedge that work great.

Does shimming the skis help with steering effort? I use cobra runners so darting isn't an issue anymore but steering effort at slow speed is hard. Seems to me if less of the runner is touching the snow the less effort it would take to turn? Also would this promote pushing in the corners?

Thanks!

Shimming any ski on any sled 1/4" will help reduce darting. That's why its done. G.B.

it will also lighten steering a little bit.... i have run shims on mine with semi aggressive snowtrackers for 6+ years on my nytro and wife's vector and it works really good (works for me......)

cheers

YES! I put new Tuner IIs on mine w the full Bergstrom setup, shims, ski savers, triple points (inner), wear bars (outer), reversed rubbers (new), ski toe out as he said as part of my front end rebuild... Amazing, like on rails, zero darting... Highly recommend check out his site. Great products.

Back