• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski toe out and shims

Vmax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Arctic Cat ZR 6000 El Tigre
Any one have any luck with ski toe out and shims to help stop darting?

Yep. 1/16" - 1/8" max toe out. Shims to give ski more heel pressure.
Any carbide will perform better set up this way.
Most critical element to proper tracking is ski alignment. Period.

How do you measure this - where on the skis? Close to as far to the front and back as you can?

Frozentows4 where do you get the nut bolt combination to extend the carbide threaded studs straight up above ski plastic.
Love the whole drilled in the measuring stick as it allows allot easier on person v. Hooking the stud with the tape measure .

Frozentows4, I've had good luck just measuring to the carbide nuts but your system is really fail safe. Thanks for sharing. I will be using this system in the future to adjust toe out.

Vmax, shimming the back side of rubber mount and correct toe out like frozentows4 said are critical to reduce darting. Yamahas new ski for 2021 has a shim set included with the ski. Allows one to adjust to there liking. We've been shimming our skis since 2002 when we bought our first set of bergstrom triple point carbides, its been a difference maker with darting.

Snoden
Thanks for the info. I believe my sled needs to be toed out and shimmed. It darts bad and has heavy steering due to I assume too much weight on the front of the ski

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Keep it coming, its going to be a much longer summer due to the state we are all in.

You really shouldn't have heavy steering, what shocks do you have? That's adding to your darting problem as well.

Frozentows4 where do you get the nut bolt combination to extend the carbide threaded studs straight up above ski plastic.
Love the whole drilled in the measuring stick as it allows allot easier on person v. Hooking the stud with the tape measure .

It's just a simple bolt coupler found at a hardware store. Then another bolt, with the head cut off, and a lock nut.

The long aluminum straight edge is important to ensure skis are parallel to the track.
Adjust this first.

Then set Toe Out to 1/16" - 1/8" max.

Never Toe In. That will make for heavy steering and poor handling.

Yamadoo, looks like he's using rod couplers and allthread . Readily available at most good hardware stores. Take a nut off of your carbide for size comparison. 4 rod couplers and
A 1' piece of allthread cut in to 4 3" pieces with 4 nuts to lock the extensions and you'd be good to go.

Hah, I was to slow lol!

You really shouldn't have heavy steering, what shocks do you have? That's adding to your darting problem as well.

I have the Fox Float 3 air shocks. After reading all of the replies it sure seems like I have toe out and ski skim issues. As mentioned my darts badly

.... and has heavy steering....
Center shock preload can have a huge impact on steering effort. You may want to try adding some preload to the center shock. Try one to two turns at a time max. If you go too far, you will have very easy steering at the expense of push in the corners.

Exactly! That's where I was headed with shock question first. The center shock acts as your balance point (like a teeter totter), not enough load equals heavy steering and to much load....well fear will set in as your headed for the bush (great hole shot though).

Back