• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid rebuilding question

Big Bertha

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 VK PRO 2
Hey there, I’m rebuilding my skid on a 2018 VK Pro 2. It needs all bearings and bushings etc. is there a good quality aftermarket kit for that? A kit that includes all the rebuild parts I would need??
Or is it buying each piece separately from the dealer? Thanx

Hey there, I’m rebuilding my skid on a 2018 VK Pro 2. It needs all bearings and bushings etc. is there a good quality aftermarket kit for that? A kit that includes all the rebuild parts I would need??
Or is it buying each piece separately from the dealer? Thanx
I don’t know of any kits,usually I purchase good quality bearings from a bearing supplier,generally online you can get a discount for buying in quantity,most of the rear suspension bushings I purchase from yamaha as they are usually not readily available aftermarket, some people use just cheap idler wheel bearings but I generally buy higher quality depends on preference

Ok got it. Now what’s a good bearing manufacturer that’s reasonably priced?

Ok got it. Now what’s a good bearing manufacturer that’s reasonably priced?

NTN is hard to beat. Just make sure they have rubber seals and not plastic. Royal Distributing sells 6004 and 6205 brgs by the 10-pk for a reasonable price, that's where I buy mine.

Figure out which size bearings your wheels take, Royal Distributing covers off most bearings for sleds and their prices are reasonable. Settle for NTN bearings and they will treat you well.

As for bushings.... that can get expensive when you buy all the little bushings for a skid.

I often take my bushings and use the wire wheel on the bench grinder and clean them all up. Just stick them on a screw driver and rotate while the wheel cleans them up.

I have a wire brushing kit (from Princess Auto) that I spin on the drill and clean the eye holes. It take the rust out of shock eyes etc.

Hope that helps.
MS

Timken makes a great bearing. I used to run the cheap bearings but gave up after a few failures. It really depends how many miles you put on in a year. Last year a ran 4000 kms. I had a bearing in the upper idler wheels lock up and spin in the plastic wheel. It was a cheapy bearing. The NTN bearings on the factory accessory back wheel I got nearly 10,000 kms out of them!!!

Ok, thanx for all the info. I’ll check out Royal D and see what they have. Now, for the next issue is the sagging rear suspension!! It’s like the torsion springs are not strong enough to keep the rear end up. It says all the way down to the stops and sits there while I ride. Very bumpy and bad steering as a result! Any ideas about that?

Here is a little vid of the issue? Is there some aftermarket thing that will stop the drop? I’m always riding on the bottom bump stops. Rides like total #*$&@ as a result.

Ok, thanx for all the info. I’ll check out Royal D and see what they have. Now, for the next issue is the sagging rear suspension!! It’s like the torsion springs are not strong enough to keep the rear end up. It says all the way down to the stops and sits there while I ride. Very bumpy and bad steering as a result! Any ideas about that?
Your shocks are tired and need to be rebuilt. No big deal.
MS

Your shocks are tired and need to be rebuilt. No big deal.
MS
Ok, so you think it’s the shock. I’m looking for a replacement already just to be ready. What about the springs? Do these torsion springs get weak as well? They look ok but can they loose their power?

The only way i can see springs failing or weakening is if you stored the sled with a ton or weight on it - or something like that.
If it was stored with the rear end raised - those springs are fine. The springs on these sleds are pretty strong.

If the bushings in your sled's skid are dry and rusty, if the rear scissor isnt greased and the shocks are old - it will not fully rebound. Sounds like it is need of some TLC.

MS

x2 on the shock.

i do have a weak set of springs with 35000 km on them and they are bottoming on a fresh shock on the hardest setting on 5 position blocks i have on the sled. took 4 seasons of fresh shock every year before i had to condem the springs for being too weak.

x2 on the shock.

i do have a weak set of springs with 35000 km on them and they are bottoming on a fresh shock on the hardest setting on 5 position blocks i have on the sled. took 4 seasons of fresh shock every year before i had to condem the springs for being too weak.
Ok, what happened when the new springs went in? Did the tide hight return back to the top?

Ok, what happened when the new springs went in? Did the tide hight return back to the top?
have not installed them in it yet. when i get to its pre season i will but that will not be for at least a month with all the other repairs i need to do.

Back