• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skis and Ski guides

SAB1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
2010 Vector GT
2006 Apex
So all you folks that were looking for better front end handling via new skis and or new carbides, it seems like Woody Dooleys or Snow Trackers are the best options on an '06 Venture?

Most of you prefer the Snowtrackers ? Do you get the 5 inch or the 7.5 inch? Looks like compete kit runs $219/@49 resectively.

I recently put Woody's 8 inch executives on and dont see a ton of improvement so I looking for more help.

Lastly, for ski guides in the trailer, what are you all using? The ones that were in my trailer are cheesey plastic that is cracked and broken. I saw someone saying the snow trackers dont like to go in reverse. I have a Clam shell trailer so they have no choice.

SAB1 said:
So all you folks that were looking for better front end handling via new skis and or new carbides, it seems like Woody Dooleys or Snow Trackers are the best options on an '06 Venture?

Most of you prefer the Snowtrackers ? Do you get the 5 inch or the 7.5 inch? Looks like compete kit runs $219/@49 resectively.

I recently put Woody's 8 inch executives on and dont see a ton of improvement so I looking for more help.

Lastly, for ski guides in the trailer, what are you all using? The ones that were in my trailer are cheesey plastic that is cracked and broken. I saw someone saying the snow trackers dont like to go in reverse. I have a Clam shell trailer so they have no choice.

Snowtrackers will eliminate darting, give you the feeling of power steering, and excellent bite in all conditions.

I don't know any aggressive carbide mounted on a Yamaha that likes going into reverse.

Snowtrackers work well but they dont last long for the price. I had rocks get suck in them a few times and had to use a pry bar to get them out. 1500 miles and mine were junk. Bergstrom's might be worth a look there my next ones i am going to try. I have woody's Dooleys now and took them off after one ride. I found a set of tuner Skis used for 50.00 the other day and went for a ride with them on Tuesday and there pretty good. Had 4" outside and 0 inside.

skis

Have the tuner skis on my 13 vector with woody's carbides on them.4 inch on the inside and 2 inch on the outside.With the powersterring it works great.
Keeping the tuner skis for my new sr viper,should work really good.

IF i were to do it again, i would use the new yamaha tuner skis on my vec. Currently have the arrows, and they work well. The sled tracks well, no darting and push in the corners was minimized. Comparing the tuner to the arrow, the tuner looks to be a built a little more rigid and durable. The keel on the tuner is a little further apart which i think would be better.

I would definitlely put two shaper bars with carbides on both. 5" and at least 2" on the other. My arrows currently have two 5" carbides on both and although manuevering a slow speeds is work, they perform well at normal trail speed.

MS

I just ordered a set of shaper bars for the tuners. Hope they last longer then the snowtrackers did.

I guess I dont understand how SOme say the Snow trackers dont last long and other get 3500 miles. Make no sense.

We have a lot of black top crossings and trails that use a road for a bit to get to the next trail and they don't handle black top.
But the snowtrackers do work!!!

Over half my miles are in the ditch trails.Constant road crossings ( gravel and blacktop). Always dealing with road debris on the trails ie: pop cans ( that can get stuck into the carbide) sand and gravel.
Other places I drive, the trails wind thru the bush and over rocks. Not uncommon to skip against atleast a few rocks when conditions are good.
The wear factor must be related to sled setup. The same time I installed my SnowTrackers is the same time I install sliders. Both are in very good condition after 3500 miles.
I do run the oversized wheels and small wheel kit to help slider wear.

Setting up the sled for your weight and driving style should be done first and foremost. Make the sled handle an turn the way you want it to.
Then start fine tuning with differnet skis and carbides that suit you and your driving style.

Put on the extreme snowtracker as are deeper and longer, so will last a little longer in terms of wear. Pretty much eliminates darting except on a frozen heavily rutted trail. Very good bang for your buck. Have tried triple points with shimming, with little to no improvement in darting. Snowtrackers work, why change to new/different skis and have to buy carbides for them as well. I don't like spending money on useless gadgets, just buy snowtrackers, they actually work, no hype.

Back