• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled Cutting out with new high flow fuel pump

Joe ltx-le

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx-dx
I recently installed the hurricane high flow fuel pump kit on a friends sled.
We are having issues with it cutting out when you stab the gas and also sometimes going down hill.
Sometimes with a full tank of gas it will work great for a while.
I’ve already checked the fuel line from the pump to plate, checked the pickups. Everything looks perfect.

I’m almost at the point to try another pump.

Anyone have any advice?

I recently installed the hurricane high flow fuel pump kit on a friends sled.
We are having issues with it cutting out when you stab the gas and also sometimes going down hill.
Sometimes with a full tank of gas it will work great for a while.
I’ve already checked the fuel line from the pump to plate, checked the pickups. Everything looks perfect.

I’m almost at the point to try another pump.

Anyone have any advice?

Sounds almost like its sucking air or the slipper is running out of fuel. Did you route the return back to the slipper on top of the pump?

Does the sled have logs of the A/F ratio when WFO?

Sounds almost like its sucking air or the slipper is running out of fuel. Did you route the return back to the slipper on top of the pump?

I did run the line back to the pump well. But your right it’s acting like the well is running low.
I’m wondering if it’s possibly getting air from the two external pickups. It’s really hard to test on the bench.

No afr on this unit. But it’s not hard to tell it goes lean

I'd get a fuel pressure gauge on there to see what's happening at a min. Can't diagnose fuel pressure readings without that, otherwise its just a guess and pizzing in the wind and changing parts willie nilly.

i had same issue ..EXACTLY, turned out the 340 pumps from quantom will pump the basket empty faster than it can fill and you will stall, switche mine to a walbro 255 and made sure return line elbow into fuel pump housing had nipple on inside of tank and added a 4" piece of hose which i could put fuel line right into basket and all good.

i had same issue ..EXACTLY, turned out the 340 pumps from quantom will pump the basket empty faster than it can fill and you will stall, switche mine to a walbro 255 and made sure return line elbow into fuel pump housing had nipple on inside of tank and added a 4" piece of hose which i could put fuel line right into basket and all good.
I’ve been running a 340 pump for a few years and never had an issue, you have something else going on. I even ran the big pump at first without the return into he sock and no issues. Probably not pulling enough through your pick ups.

I had the exact same problem going on this winter. Tried two different aftermarket fuel pumps, put a return line to fuel cup and made a wiring harness to power fuel pump directly from battery with larger wires and a relay. It still would run full of gas but start to cut out when calling for fuel or even a long declaration at the end of a straightaway. I called great old fella at local cat dealer and he said I think some of the crap fuel these days is wrecking the little check valves in the front intake filter slippers? He got me in an aftermarket Y and filter and it fixed the sled instantly. It hasn’t missed a beat since running max spool 17 mod muffler with closed loop. I haven’t posted this winter because like Mr Knapp said earlier in season I am so happy how sled is dialled in to the point that I just love riding it I literally did idler wheel bearings this year and nothing else until the fuel problem. 18,000 hard kms and going strong, sons paddle tracked 300 hp winder now has 28,000 kms works good as new still. I spent the majority of my online sled time this winter watching the 900r debacle over on dootalk. Guys on there remind me of my chicken farmer buddies story about his chickens, there can be thousands of them in the same barn and they get along and don’t even pay attention to each other. The minute one of the flock looks different the other chickens attack it and kill or seriously maim it and it gets unceremoniously disposed of. Explains dootalk pretty succinctly I think. Field experience this winter backed up the few guys I would listen to on dootalk, only Mach Z I personally have a connection with rides and handles really well and is a total dog, 850s kill it. Our other buddies 900r is a bit of a rocket, no stock Winder to run it against but I am sure it would be all over a stock Winder right until the big end. If Winder had a sticky clutch roller doo would win for sure. Kinda pumped about power steering Winders but not enough to part with $27,000 CDN and still need an axle lock tool and bullet proof the chaincase. You can buy a full featured small car that meets safety rules for that much money, ridiculous.

wrecking the little check valves in the front intake filter slippers?
Are you speaking of these?
Large_LI.jpg

Yes, part comes with the Y fitting. Factory part was pricey and our cat dealer says he uses the aftermarket one often

Back