• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled Deck on A Chevy 1/2 Ton

Cable810

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX MPI 190
Over the past couple months me and my buddy built a sled deck out of a junk metal 2 place trailer. Came out pretty good imo.

I just have a few questions and I'm uncertain. I plan on using it in my Chevy 1/2 ton Z71. Been researching it and what not and it seems like it's not a wise idea to run a deck on a 1/2 ton....

Has anyone here ran a deck on a 1/2 ton? If you have what are your thoughts on it?

The legs are perfectly centered over the frame rails. Planning on bolting it to the box and then running either turn buckles or car hauler ratchet straps to the corner eyelets in the box. After seeing other pictures of different decks it seems like we should have made the legs tighter to the inside/outside of the box.

Just looking for suggestions. The farthest we travel to ride is 3-4 hours and that's maybe once a month.

A half ton pick-up in "theory" can hold 1000 pounds of weight.
That # is usually higher especially in the last 20 years or so.
Older springs, shocks & worn parts can lower the safety factor down a bit.
The higher up the weight, the more it "weighs" when moving, accelerating, braking and ESPECIALLY in turns.
2 sleds weigh between 1200 to 1600 pounds. Add in the deck, 2 people with gear & you could have over 2000 pounds in this truck.

My biggest concern would be emergency braking, turning or swerving to avoid something.
I know my buds' F250 would have a lot of body roll with 2 sleds on it.

Here's what i have for pictures. Deck is 7' 4" long and 8 feet wide. Just just a couple inches above the top of the box.

Attachments

• Snapchat-559206901.jpg
    Snapchat-559206901.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Snapchat-402206491.jpg
    Snapchat-402206491.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 229
A half ton pick-up in "theory" can hold 1000 pounds of weight.
That # is usually higher especially in the last 20 years or so.
Older springs, shocks & worn parts can lower the safety factor down a bit.
The higher up the weight, the more it "weighs" when moving, accelerating, braking and ESPECIALLY in turns.
2 sleds weigh between 1200 to 1600 pounds. Add in the deck, 2 people with gear & you could have over 2000 pounds in this truck.

My biggest concern would be emergency braking, turning or swerving to avoid something.
I know my buds' F250 would have a lot of body roll with 2 sleds on it.

Steve good job of staying away from the old ‘school’ formula’s of Force= Mass x acceleration(brake/turn/) and then not talking about height = length of lever arms.
Me thinks you you are familiar with this........LOL as always you make me laugh. Thanks

I understand what it's going to do with stopping, turning with the sleds being higher. Guess I'll just have to throw the deck in and then the sleds and see how it handles. I'm not one to drive like a idiot lol. If it's not gonna work it's not gonna work. I'll just sell it and make some cash.

I probably should have bought a 2500 lol

I agree just try it. I also have a 1/2 ton, hopefully it will do well. I have NO experience so cant give advice experience .

My F150 keeps track of ‘TRAILER MILES” and its less than 2% of the total miles. So I will stay in a 1/2 ton as only <2% of the time I would be better off with 3/4 ton, and my 1/2 ton handles the Pontoon trailer and the 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailers nearly as well as my 02 GMC 2500. So 98% of the time I get the better ride, better gas mileage

You also want to pay attention to the truck's GVW. If you ever get stopped you may be hit with additional fines.

I think the deck is right around 300-400lbs. That was another concern of mine with the weight. 95% of the roads here are flat.

the length seems a bit short...not sure of the length of the sleds you'll be putting on but my sled is 11'..sticks out the tailgate a bit...what's going to happen when you try to pass a 18 wheeler on the highway? Always a bit of shove when they come by passing or you passing. I'm sure you're a good driver, its others I'd be worried about with something top heavy and trying to keep things stable on snow roads. Your welding looks great!!

the length seems a bit short...not sure of the length of the sleds you'll be putting on but my sled is 11'..sticks out the tailgate a bit...what's going to happen when you try to pass a 18 wheeler on the highway? Always a bit of shove when they come by passing or you passing. I'm sure you're a good driver, its others I'd be worried about with something top heavy and trying to keep things stable on snow roads. Your welding looks great!!

144 and 141 Think the over hang was 2-3 feet roughly. I'm pretty sure they stuck out just under the length allowed before having to have a flag on them.

I plan on going like 10 under the speed limit anyhow. Truck really doesn't like trailers for whatever reason but likes them at 55 lol So I'm gonna assume and plan for driving slower. There will be very little freeway driving. Most of the roads will be Highways. 55-65mph.

My Buddy did majority of the welding lol I'll pass it along to him

I understand what it's going to do with stopping, turning with the sleds being higher. Guess I'll just have to throw the deck in and then the sleds and see how it handles. I'm not one to drive like a idiot lol. If it's not gonna work it's not gonna work. I'll just sell it and make some cash.

I probably should have bought a 2500 lol

I was in no way implying not to try it.
I was giving the "other side of the coin" view.
The best part of this project is the do-it-youself spirit going on.
Please report back as it goes, cuz i just cancelled my second trip this year and this project seems to be the only thing going on right now. LOL

BTW
My first trip up north, in 1985, i put a bumper hitch on a 1978 Honda Civic with basically a street legal yard trailer.
I tapped into the brake lights 10 minutes before we left.
I had to go down hills at 80 to get up the other side.
Topped off the oil every hour.

I've been hooked ever since!
It's where the O in OCD started as in OH MY GOD!

Last edited:
Like Steve says, please let us know how it goes once on the road..I've seen these decks on route 95 and from what I remember it seems stable enough..actually a guy in town has a deck, I just never asked him about it but he takes his sleds on it to Maine from Mass. Good luck and please keep us posted!! Joe

We'll see how she goes once we get the ramp made.

I appreciate everything guys! I'll have to try and post pictures from start to finish. It won't let me post the pictures I took with my camera on my phone but it allows the Snapchat photos I took to be posted ‍♂️

Back