• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slides

Crazy Canuk

Expert
Gents,

Late last year I did a pretty long road run (which I rarely do) and seem to have done my slides in between the second set of idlers and the rear wheels. I think I should replace them. I normally never have slide issues and the snow I ride on is generally pretty good and I deploy scratchers probably a touch earlier than I need to so everything stays lubed and cool.

I never had to change slides on my Viper and know this chassis is pretty easy on them. I have a 1.75 Hurricane track. Should I put the Duponts or just the regular slides back on? I am not overly concerned about the extra price but don't want to just give money away.

Thoughts?

I know that people will say you can put on "X" number of slides for the price of DuPonts, but I've never had to replace a set of them. EVER. I've been extremely happy with them and have never had an issue on icy trails or roads. Last year, we were on our morning return to the main hotel as part of a backpacking trip and were running on rock hard trails (grooming well below freezing will do that). One of the sleds (Apex with a 1.25" RipSaw) ran the regular slides and they were trashed by the end of the day. The rest of us (two SideWinder 141s with a 1.75" Backcountry X) ran the DuPonts - you could smell them and tell they were melting, but the material in the slide was strong/slippery enough to minimize the wear and they're still in fantastic condition.

Gents,

Late last year I did a pretty long road run (which I rarely do) and seem to have done my slides in between the second set of idlers and the rear wheels. I think I should replace them. I normally never have slide issues and the snow I ride on is generally pretty good and I deploy scratchers probably a touch earlier than I need to so everything stays lubed and cool.

I never had to change slides on my Viper and know this chassis is pretty easy on them. I have a 1.75 Hurricane track. Should I put the Duponts or just the regular slides back on? I am not overly concerned about the extra price but don't want to just give money away.

Thoughts?

Many are saying that our chassis is easy on slides especially when compared to the older Yamaha chassis, and I have been there, believe me. But I will also say, that some have not found that to be true, so Dupont’s are still by far the best alternative. My, and my riding partners 2017 LTX-LE and RTX-LE needed new slides after not many miles so Dupont’s it was. They just Hands Down worked for us, but again, many do not have any problems with stock slides on their Winders! But let me warn you, a friend wanted to buy a set at the end of season and could not find a set, and also found that once he found a set, the pricing had been elevated to a stupid level. I had paid under $140 for a set of Dupont slides back in 2018.

The duponts are better, but I have seen many of those wear out also. When the slide gets hot and/or worn, the inserts fall out.
I use regular sliders.

The duponts are better, but I have seen many of those wear out also. When the slide gets hot and/or worn, the inserts fall out.
I use regular sliders.

I've never seen that - good to know. Have you seen it in multiple slides or just one?

Du ponts hands down. Burned stockers up on my 20 spring check last year early season riding and stubble field playing with 1” of snow. Put the DuPont on and went 6000km no sign of wear. Also was the only slide that would last more then 500 miles on my tipped rail xtx apex.

Thanks guys, I will see about getting the Duponts. Have the same sled as you Winder_506 but I am jealous in that I don't have near the miles.

I find these pro cross sleds give incredible slider wear compared to the Nytros, vectors, apexes. A friend got nearly 10,000km out of his stock slides.
I changed mine this year at 6000 and after having them off, they could have easily gone another 4000km.

Up to you, but for the cost of stock slides, its pretty easy to slap them on every 8k and call it a day.
MS

I find these pro cross sleds give incredible slider wear compared to the Nytros, vectors, apexes. A friend got nearly 10,000km out of his stock slides.
I changed mine this year at 6000 and after having them off, they could have easily gone another 4000km.

Up to you, but for the cost of stock slides, its pretty easy to slap them on every 8k and call it a day.
MS

I guess my issue is I didn't get near that mileage. When I put it away last year is was not even past the break in as our new young kid kept me pretty busy. Like I said, it was that road run that did it which I usually avoid at all costs if I can. When I sold my Viper, the slides were like new as you are describing and it had the 1.6 Cobra. I think my deeper 1.75 and the road added up to melting them down quick.

I guess my issue is I didn't get near that mileage. When I put it away last year is was not even past the break in as our new young kid kept me pretty busy. Like I said, it was that road run that did it which I usually avoid at all costs if I can. When I sold my Viper, the slides were like new as you are describing and it had the 1.6 Cobra. I think my deeper 1.75 and the road added up to melting them down quick.

The Cobra 1.6 lugs fold over like butter. Wouldn’t be surprised if your track was acting like a much shorter lug than something taller and stiffer, like a 1.75” track, would do. Food for thought

Near 6000 km with dupont and no sign of wear. Definitively better!!

If the Duponts melted & inserts fell out, then the stockers would have completely disintegrated under same conditions.
OVER 15,000 miles on Apex & 12,000 on Sidewinder with Duponts.
BOTH are still going.

P.S: My Apex used to EAT stock slides. 1000 miles at best.
P.S2: 15,000 miles =24,140 km

Just like breaking in belts, you need to break in your slides. 4000 miles and changed just because I went to a colored slide! I wish they made Duponts in different colors.

Back