• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slow coolant leak

Sled Dog

Lifetime Member
Developed a coolant leak but sled ran like a champ luckily I was at home when the light came on. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else and where the problem was. Just want to know where to start looking at the most likely places.

I am hoping its not under the engine I remember seeing a hose there while changing oil and there is no place to work there.

check the running board heat exchangers. they will crack at the rear suspension drop bracket. it is caused by the running boards flexing.

If its an 03 its coming from under the motor, there is a rubber bow that springs a leak. Been there done that.. $8 part motor has to come out to replace... :o| #$%&*

Jury is still out on the leak will find out soon once I take it out for a good run. It may have been just low and it over flowed from the rad cap.

Well the coolant leak showed up again with a vengence looks like its coming from under my belly pan. Has anyone else found a problem with a hose under there and to fix it does the engine need to be pulled out? It is not coming from the rear, sides or front cooler and it does not appear to be leaking any where one can see from the top!

Well after a lot digging and searching I finally found the leak. Its leaking from the 90 degree elbow hose that comes directly from the water pump and then runs under the engine to the front heat exchanger. Looks like I should be able to pull this part out along with the part that runs under the engine replace and reinstall. For some reason there is a non factory clamp on that elbow and it looks like whoever did this tightened it up to much and it eventually worked its way and cut into the hose. Of course the part is not in stock and had to be ordered so my sled is down till after christmas. Has anyone had this happen to them and do you see a problem the way I plan to fix this? There is actually two none factory clamps on my sled so I am wondering why looks almost like someone pulled this engine prior to me purchasing it. Oh well it lasted this long so I guess thats pretty good but it still gets me wondering as to why the non factroy clamps are on this machine.

Well I got it out and it looks to be a fairly easy job found more ot these screw clamps so someone had pulled this motor prior to me buying it oh well its ran fine. The clamp they used did work its way in cutting as it did it and caused this leak. The spring that was inside the hose is it really necessary to keep the small 90 elbow from collapsing?

It was tight to get the pipe back in with the 90 degree elbow and clamp on but it did go in and the sled is back in action.

Back