• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slydog ski report

Apsterbobed said:
I was excited when you posted your setup earlier because it was so close to mine, and it did work about 100 times better than I had it last year. I didn’t get too much inside lift, that seemed to come from hitting it too hard or not leaning enough. I was getting just a general light front end. I like to slow down before the turn and power through and out of the corner and when I did this the front would lift up just enough to loose my grip on the trail. I’m thinking that I just have too much transfer. But the good news is that we are suppose to get some snow tomorrow so I might get to tinker around my house!

Gotcha ! I thought you were referring to inside lift.

These sleds are great!! Hope you got the snow!

We did get some snow, more would be nice but now I can at least bomb around my yard! I’m thinking that an electronic transfer adjustment might be more fun then the shock, just tap the button and wheelie around the fields, then tap again and plant the front end on the trails. :-o

Soldier'spapa said:
I'll chime in on this topic. I just returned from the U.P. and had a chance to really try out the powderhounds. I am...was (I'll explain in a bit) running 6" Tripple points and savers I am 200# without gear, and ride an 07 Attak GT. The trails we ran yesterday morning were hardpacked and set up in spots and loose in others. I was absolutly 100% pleased with the combination. Last time out though I was not. I had experienced some darting and hunting as well as some push in the corners. This was with the front springs set, (With the front end lifted off the floor) at the point at which the tension was just released, the transfer set midway and limiter strap at the factory setting.

The set up for this time out was even more preload removed from the front springs (About 1/2" of threads showing in the gap between the top of the springs and the adjusting rings with the sled lifted off the floor), transfer at 3/4 full, limiter straps sucked up 1 hole, and what I feel made the biggest difference was setting the alignment per Allen Ulmer's recommendation (1/8" toe in) This made for easy steering, no darting (Slight hunting) great hold in the turns (Slight push in the soft snow only) no ski lift and the most fun on the trails I have ever had!

I was riding with my son (On his renegade) and commented when we stopped, after about 30 miles riding, that this sled (Attak GT) is so nice that I can see myself keeping it for years to come. It was about a half hour later, (When He was on my sled) that on a plowed road at a speed of about 65 mph my Attak and a small doe came to a mutually fatal ending!!!

Except for a few bumps and bruises I am happy to say that my son is fine, but I fear the Attak will not be resurrected (At least not by my insurance company)

Happy Trails !!!

Toe in? Is this for slydog and stock ski's? I have never heard of toe in setup?

mnf7sp said:
Soldier'spapa said:
I'll chime in on this topic. I just returned from the U.P. and had a chance to really try out the powderhounds. I am...was (I'll explain in a bit) running 6" Tripple points and savers I am 200# without gear, and ride an 07 Attak GT. The trails we ran yesterday morning were hardpacked and set up in spots and loose in others. I was absolutly 100% pleased with the combination. Last time out though I was not. I had experienced some darting and hunting as well as some push in the corners. This was with the front springs set, (With the front end lifted off the floor) at the point at which the tension was just released, the transfer set midway and limiter strap at the factory setting.

The set up for this time out was even more preload removed from the front springs (About 1/2" of threads showing in the gap between the top of the springs and the adjusting rings with the sled lifted off the floor), transfer at 3/4 full, limiter straps sucked up 1 hole, and what I feel made the biggest difference was setting the alignment per Allen Ulmer's recommendation (1/8" toe in) This made for easy steering, no darting (Slight hunting) great hold in the turns (Slight push in the soft snow only) no ski lift and the most fun on the trails I have ever had!

I was riding with my son (On his renegade) and commented when we stopped, after about 30 miles riding, that this sled (Attak GT) is so nice that I can see myself keeping it for years to come. It was about a half hour later, (When He was on my sled) that on a plowed road at a speed of about 65 mph my Attak and a small doe came to a mutually fatal ending!!!

Except for a few bumps and bruises I am happy to say that my son is fine, but I fear the Attak will not be resurrected (At least not by my insurance company)

Happy Trails !!!

Toe in? Is this for slydog and stock ski's? I have never heard of toe in setup?

That is not a typo.... Yes, Toe in .. (Slydogs only--I have not tried it with the stockers). I understand it is contrary to what the manual says ... not to mention what I have understood as correct toe angle setting for as long as I can remember. I heard it here from Allen Ulmer and questioned it just as you have. I recognized that for his young age he has brought a lot of experience to this forum and seems to genuinly help others out, so I tried it for myself. Figured I had nothing to loose and it made quite an improvement!

I too would go for an electric transfer control adjustment. Either that or at least quick adjust knob as they had for the older skids with two control rods.

Sounds like a great idea for someone out there to come up with and make available along with a remote headlight adjuster. (ULMER are you getting this:)

I have never tried adjusting the stock skis to being toed-in. I spent about 1100 miles last season trying different settings with the Slydog skis and finding out what works and what didn't. I spent a few scary miles out on the trails at times when the adjustments I tried made things scarrier than before! LOL! After 1100 miles we were pretty much able to dial them in just the way we wanted.

Back