• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slydog ski report

bjniceguy

VIP Member
just got back from a 200 mile trip to Wyoming. I have a 2006 Attak and installed Slydog ski's with 6" berkstoms and ski savers. We rode trails only with conditions changing from hard packed trails to 8" of fluff over the trip. I had zero darting on decell and only a hint of hunting when I was behind about 6 skidoo's with precision skis. Absolutely happy with them. I took off my Simmonds I had on end of last year that darted like crazy.

Just my experience and take it with a grain of salt. One thing I have learned between my old Apex GT and the standard Attak is that you must keep the spring pressure up on the rear shock to keep the ski pressure down. This helps with the unloading/ darting with whatever ski you have on. It does not seem to hurt ride at all and stops bottoming also. Win/win.

Later
Doug :jump:

I am not sure I follow the ski pressure up on rear to keep pressuor OFF the ski's, wouldn't that load the ski more ?

Glad you like the ski

Yamadoo

That is good news! I have the same set up. Everyone else in my group stayed stock and put on the Woody's duellys. I hope my results match yours!

I think the suspension works more like a parallelagram (how ever you spell it). On our old suspension, if you tighted the back spring, it would push down on the ski's. I think (& could be wrong) that this one raises the whole sled straight up, thus taking away ski pressure. I have my shock springs & limiter stock and my transfer almost max. Sled turned well.

i just installed powder hounds as well.... ski alignment looked good still.... cant wait to try them out.....

I have the trails. I will find out next week if the U.P. gets snow.

radta7:
The trail ski is a little narrower than the powderhound isn't it. No snow here either so haven't tried stock ones yet (0 miles on it). Which carbides are you using with those skis. Look forward to hearing your feedback once we get snow.

I did the bergstrom triples with ski savers... Should be able to post after the new year. UP should get 4-8 inches Saturday with Lake effect snow Tues - Friday.

Think SNOW

radta:
Just wondering how the new skis have worked. Snow has just started to arrive here. THere is borderline conditions (trail not open) about 2 hours away but forecast looks good. Hopefully this weekend or next I will be able to get out for the break in period. Then I'll have to decide what changes I want to do. Any feedback is appreciated. I trail ride mostly so powderhounds might not be necessary if the Trail/pros are good. :letsnow:

I ran 4000 miles last year on Attak with Slydog trail skis 6 inch triple points and skisavers. Set up toed in 1/8 inch. Great setup minimal darting god control and easy steering. You guys won't be disappointed! Same setup on 97 Attak GT waiting for snow.

I put three hundred miles on my slydog powder hounds and 8 inch bergstrom triples with skisavers between the holidays.

Absolutely the best modification i have ever made to any sled..... The skis float the heavy front of this machine, they hold a tight line, light steering effort, and the bergstroms are amazing on the icy stuff......

My hats off to Bergstrom and Slydog...truly excellent products......

p.s. darting was virtually eliminated.. I had very slight hunting when following other sleds on groomed trail which is Normal for any sled.....

my suspension is set at 3/4 weight transfer to rear of sled with strong rear preload and front spring preload set at springs barely touching with skis off floor......(Slydog reccomended this and it worked well for me) i had just the right amount of lift to power hard out of the turns and control the drift.....for my riding style of course....

monsterattak said:
front spring preload set at springs barely touching with skis off floor...

Monster...I'd like to dig into your setup a little deeper since our Attaks have spot-on IDENTICAL ski setups...Powderhound/8" Tpoints/Savers. Mine are black, yours are blue/white flames if I recall last time we shared pics...

Explain your above statement a little further please. I assume you mean with the front skis free-hanging, the springs are just very loosely seated against their retainers? I can't imagine what else you could have meant...

Is this setting notably looser or tighter compared to the stock front spring (middle) setting?

Also I can't remember if you're studded or not. I'm running a Camoplast Intense unstudded...if I recall you have a different track setup from me.

And did you set/adjust your toe? Where to? And did you move your limiter strap from stock? Your weight? I'm 190-ish (Don't worry, I'm not trying to date you... :tg: )

I have about the same number of miles as you and agree they seem to be basically perfect thusfar, but conditions were less than ideal during my miles, so I'm reserving passing judgement until I get a better variety of conditions to test 'em. Next week I'll be riding this sled for 6 days in presumably much better conditions, expecting to know more after that trip.

Thanks!

Back