• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slydog skis

sky

Anyone try slydog skis on a Apex. Looking for an after market ski, that will work well on the trail... Thanks

To reduce the darting you must add the ski savers which allows the bar to be recessed into the ski. SRXSPEC has the entire package.

Jim

I tried a set of Slydogs last season. They do steer lighter (I had 8" carbides on mine). What I didn't like was that off-trail, in deeper loose snow, they would dive as badly as the percisions do on a DOO. I would like to try a set of the PowderDogs, but the Mnt guys don't like them on hard packed or trail conditions. I guess I'll stay with the Yamaha Mnt Ski, it seems to work well in most conditions.......biggest low is that they are a couple of lbs heavier than some of the other aftermarket skis. The Mnt ski shines in the POW, lots of side surface, makes them turn in the deep.

Bodacious said:
I tried a set of Slydogs last season. They do steer lighter (I had 8" carbides on mine). What I didn't like was that off-trail, in deeper loose snow, they would dive as badly as the percisions do on a DOO. I would like to try a set of the PowderDogs, but the Mnt guys don't like them on hard packed or trail conditions. I guess I'll stay with the Yamaha Mnt Ski, it seems to work well in most conditions.......biggest low is that they are a couple of lbs heavier than some of the other aftermarket skis. The Mnt ski shines in the POW, lots of side surface, makes them turn in the deep.

Wow I didn't notce that either. Mine floated pretty dam good.

dirkdiggler said:
Bodacious said:

Terrible off trail tried them hated them!! I liked my factory ones better but know I use Simmons,just my .02!

Slydogs

Kabuta, I didn't try the sly dogs but I did try the Simmons for several hundred miles and didn't like them at all on the attack. Steering became very heavy with the simmons (way to much ski preasure). I made several adjustments to take weight off the skis and still didn't like the steering effort. I run Simmons on all my other sleds (Polaris/skidoos) with no issues. They did cure the darting until you let of the gas and then WATCH out the back end wanted to pass the front end!

Anyway, what ended up working the best for me last year was the original skis with Dully 4" carbides. Still light steering and eliminated 90% of the darting.

Good luck!

There is no ski that is a bolt-on and "cure all" ski. We found with the Slydog's that the alignment, ski savers, and front shock pressure really affect the handling of the sled. The older standard Delta Box was alot more forgiving than the now Delta II rider forward chassis. I ran the Slydog's on the trail and in ditches breaking fresh snow on a RTX and an Attak and once I got them dialed-in they worked very well. Ask bjniceguy, dirkdiggler, Indy, Tork, and if I think of anymore I'll post them and you can PM them and ask them about their setup as well.

I also had a customer try them on an Apex Mountain against the stock Yamaha's and Simmons and the customer ended up sticking with the Slydog Powderhounds because he liked that setup the best as well.

yamaouch08 said:
dirkdiggler said:
Bodacious said:

Terrible off trail tried them hated them!! I liked my factory ones better but know I use Simmons,just my .02!

Explain why they sucked. I road in about 26 inches of fresh off trail powder and I broke trail like a champ. I had no snow come over my hood and it floated like a dream to me. the stock skis absolutely blow. The sink right to the bottom. they were only designed for groomed trail riding.

dirkdiggler said:
yamaouch08 said:
dirkdiggler said:
Bodacious said:

The Slydogs got the front up better then did the Stock OEM Yamaha ski, they should they are 6" wide compared to the 5" OEM. But... when carving hard in deeper snow (24"+) they had a noticable tendacy to dive or cut down and not want to switch directions easily. Depending on he density of the snow does make a huge difference. In 26" of fresh overnight snow powder, my experience has been that a stock Attak (read: Stk Yam 5" Ski, and 1.25" risaw) just will not get up on top of , or near the surface and plane like the other crossover sleds can. It will however allow you, in most cases to be able to maintain forward progress, but it will trench like a bugger. Helix changes have little or no noticable positive effect on this 136" chassis as far as remedying the problem. It's just too heavy for the lenght of the track and lug height to get the job done. There is a reason why the Mnt Apex has a 162" by 16" wide track ( hope these numbers are right ). I read a Mnt Sled comparison test held at Whistler last spring. The Apex Mnt was greatly challanged when compared to the other OEM's. But throw a TURBO on one and it's a hole new ball game!! ;)! Sorry but I got off track! Must be these 95 degree days getting to me. Hopefully only4 months or so till the frist ride!!

Explain why they sucked. I road in about 26 inches of fresh off trail powder and I broke trail like a champ. I had no snow come over my hood and it floated like a dream to me. the stock skis absolutely blow. The sink right to the bottom. they were only designed for groomed trail riding.

Back