• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Small improvements first

sleeper

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex
I will not be able to find out if the 3 small improvements will help my top end tell next season on my apex :o| #1 SRX windage plates, #2 opened all the windows on ripsaw track, #3 put 32 new track clips on. I weighed all the windows I cut out and all the track clips I added and gained 1.5 pounds on weight in the track. Lot of what I have read and people I have talked too say the third window closed does slow you down. Opening the third window and adding clips definitely should help on the hyfax overheating problem.
Sleeper

I too am interesteed in opening the windows in the ripsaw track and insalling track clips but have never done this. How did you cut the windows and how dou youminstall the clips?

I fully clipped my Ape it worked great, then gear it down I ran even with MachZ the well set up ones the stockers were easy.

Instead of fully clipping my sled, i added the SLP anti wear pads..

It did nothing for my top end.. but did help with hyfax wear..

I bet at most you might gain 1-2 mph on ice, maybe nothing on snow

I just opened up all of the windows. After 1200 mi, there is no sign of wear on the windows. My hyfax wear was reduced to minimal. I believe the noise was also reduced although it is still too loud for me.

Hey Sleeper... how much did the cut outs weigh, I didn't think of weighing them when I did it.

sleeper said:
I will not be able to find out if the 3 small improvements will help my top end tell next season on my apex :o| #1 SRX windage plates, #2 opened all the windows on ripsaw track, #3 put 32 new track clips on. I weighed all the windows I cut out and all the track clips I added and gained 1.5 pounds on weight in the track. Lot of what I have read and people I have talked too say the third window closed does slow you down. Opening the third window and adding clips definitely should help on the hyfax overheating problem.
Sleeper
How do you cut out the windows

Cutting windows

Take your track hole cutter and drill out the corners of the square first. Then go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a carpet knife not a utility knife, a carpet knife is sharper. Trace the edge of the window with the carpet knife from corner to corner where you drilled out with the track hole cutter. It will probally take about a hour to do. I just rolled the track windows above the rear idlers and cut them out. The track hole cutter gives your knife and place to start and makes nice round corners that are not undercut. I also bought a regular camoplast clip press that clamps the clips like factory with a impact wrench. I just replaced 1 track bar instead of two to try to save on weight. If I would have installed new clips on all the track bars I opened it would have been a net gain of about 3 pounds track weight. The pattern for the clips is 1 guide clip (already installed), 1 open clip and then a open track bar. I hope this helps.
Sleeper

Be carefull using the SLP window buttons. I did this on my last sled. They wore down and sliced & chunked heck and out of the Hy-Fax. Some folded over. I thoght I kept close inspection, but we hit some 'Snirt' and even some open fields going cross country. This is likely the cause of sudden wear.

seems like alot of work....which is why i bought my new sled with a 1 inch clipped predator worked into my deal free....i just had to do the labour to swap out the ripsaw for predator...but i think it was alot easier then cutting and clipping a rip IMO....also,i now have lower lug for better top speed.

dan

Back