• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Smell of gas under load

Quinton Keats

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha Pro 2
As anyone got the strong smell of gas under load, I have a 2016 vk pro 2 with 800 kms and I have notice a couple of time now that I get a strong small of gas when I put the engine under heave load. I have looked for a gas leak but never found anything and was wondering if this was a normal thing or if I have a problem.

I logged in to make this comment as well. notice a strong smell of gas while riding. Occurs more at slower speeds, and while dragging a loaded boggan. I've stopped to inspect fuel lines, gaskets, etc because it smelled like i was inhaling gas directly from the tank.

Yes I too smell gas on my machine. Normally it is when I am on rough or bumpy trails going slow. On one occasion I had gas pour out down into the bottom of the clutch area upon fill up. I would suspect the gas came out the overflow but cannot understand why the overflow would allow gas to leak into the engine compartment. I suspect i have a hole in the fuel tank. My machine is a 2016 VK Professional as well.

As anyone got the strong smell of gas under load, I have a 2016 vk pro 2 with 800 kms and I have notice a couple of time now that I get a strong small of gas when I put the engine under heave load. I have looked for a gas leak but never found anything and was wondering if this was a normal thing or if I have a problem.

Good day! I have a VK Pro ii 2016 as well. I also get the gas smell. Got it today pretty strong opened hood, couldn't see any leaking. Maybe someone should see if the Yammaie experts can review for us on line. Gas smell is scary, don't want a fire while underway!! That happened with my 2009 switch back a few years ago, not Fun!!

What happens is that when you work the sled hard, the exhaust runs under the fuel tank and when the fuel starts to get warm it expands and creates more vapour and it vents out down in the frame above your left foot aft of your clutches, this is where you get the smell of gas from! Had this on my 06 pro nothing to worry about! And for he carb versions where you operate your sled in warm conditions and working the sled hard you have to turn off your coolant flow to your carbs this will also vapour lock the carbs causing the sled to cut out and create a smell of fuel! Cheers!

Very Good Back Country !! Thank you, that seems to explain the gas smell!!:die

What happens is that when you work the sled hard, the exhaust runs under the fuel tank and when the fuel starts to get warm it expands and creates more vapour and it vents out down in the frame above your left foot aft of your clutches, this is where you get the smell of gas from! Had this on my 06 pro nothing to worry about! And for he carb versions where you operate your sled in warm conditions and working the sled hard you have to turn off your coolant flow to your carbs this will also vapour lock the carbs causing the sled to cut out and create a smell of fuel! Cheers!
I am with you but I actually had fuel leaking inside the engine compartment on the left side below the clutches. I am thinking the vent line maybe came off or maybe a hole in the vent line. I looked for something obvious but could not see anything specifically. Dealer is going to take a look at it in the next week or so. Thanks for the info.

Now that makes sense. I remember trying to pressurize the tank to siphon and smelling it just like he describe............good info.

And we know Back Country is an authentic Newfoundlander because he says aft instead of behind. Nice.

keep us informed of what the dealer has to say about this. I'm 250KM from the nears dealer, and is unable to take my machine to the dealer this year. It was about -30C ambient temperature out the first time I got the smell of gas under load condition, and I also got the smell at -10c under load conditions.

if you over fill your sled, it will puke gas out the vent, if you consult your owners manual it tells you the level to fill it , we are all guilty of trying to jam as much fuel in there as possible even burping in between. Also I have heard of owners removing the white sleeve that is there to prevent the over filling ! Cheers!

Exactly what BACK COUNTRY YAMAHA said is the issue, if you don't have a gas smell you're not working it hard enough... :)

Good day!! -26 not pulling a heavy load, not being overworked, gas tank at a half tank, not overflowing!! Gas smell still evident but not any gas showing up just fumes. As well the windshield on the VKPro 2016 ices up. It seems that heat from engine comes up onto glass...., after -25 ambient temps it is a problem. Didn't happen last spring when we were running -20 and warmer outside.

Back