• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snapped the head of an exhaust bolt.

SqueezeER

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Winder Ltx LE
I started the sled up and ran it to heat it up. I guess I waited too long to get to the exhaust removal because I snapped the head of the top right corner bolt. I'm not a handy guy (obviously). So, now what?

Thanks.

rotten luck. Can you get a drill in there and drill a hole and then tap in an easy out.

be sure to heat it right up with a heat gun. Lots of penetrating oil wouldn’t hurt
Ms

Other option is to have a nut welded on. ALL the exhaust bolts should be coated with anti seize. I remove the stock ones and replaced with stainless bolts. I replace and use nickel anti seize on mine every season. Nothing like a broken bolt lodged in a hole! Lots of fun. At least it’s not January and snowing out. You got some time to fix this.

Bolts

Last edited:
"Nickel does not react with any metals, and also provides superior heat resistance and a better lubricating quality. Copper Anti Seize Corrodes Stainless Steel and Works Only To 1800°F (982°C). Nickel based anti seize works to a temperature 600 degrees higher than copper based anti seize" Information found online

Last edited:
Is it broken off inside the block or is there some bolt sticking out? That will depend on what you do. If you are in doubt I would get some help, it's better than ruining the engine block trying to drill it out. If some of the bolt is sticking out you could remove the header and try to grab it with some vice grips. Use heat and penetrating oil and try to work it out. If it's in the block you could try to drill a hole and use an ez-out, but make sure you use a center punch so the drill doesn't wander into the head. Good luck!

I started the sled up and ran it to heat it up. I guess I waited too long to get to the exhaust removal because I snapped the head of the top right corner bolt. I'm not a handy guy (obviously). So, now what?

Thanks.
What did you end up doing?

It's seized. Using heat with easy out. Not coming so far. Tried vice grips too. Hole is closed to center as I could get it. I dunno. It's the top right bolt...I'm sure if it was in the middle it would be a big deal to leave it. But may leak on top right?

You may have to take it to a machine shop or welding shop? I don’t think you can run it the way it is. Make some calls and see if anyone can help you out. Some times you have to give in and get help. Don’t want to damage anything. When you frustrated walk away otherwise things get worse.

Take a hammer and punch and hit on the bolt 5-6 times hard. You should be able to turn it out after that.

Chances are it started to strip on the way out and you kept forcing it, which caused the head to break off. IMO, this will have to be drilled out, tapped and new bolt installed.

Good Luck!!

Get good drill bits start small and step drill it until almost drilling into threads (1/16" from threadd) then insert a easyout and twist is out.. works everytime!

Reverse drills are kinda like drilling and using an easy out at the same time ,if you can get your hands on some that’s a good route.

Sometime those reverse drill bits will catch and save you too. But is sounds like it's in there pretty good. You never know though with a little patience you may get it yet. Just keep soaking it with penetrating fluid and trying it. The key is not to get frustrated and make it worse. Like was said worse case you may have to drill it out and retap it. Good luck

Update. haha turbo is off, headed to a shop to get it out. broke extractor inside the hole. Went though 5 drill bits just trying to get through the bolt. Its a great time over here.

Back