• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow Tracker nervous steering quandry

Yamifan

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 LTX GT
I've got my skis (LTX GT EPS with aggressive trackers) as close to zero as I can get with the sled sitting on the floor. It's still a little "nervous". I need less ski pressure I assume. Will the Cat heavy center spring accomplish that? I'm a svelte 300# with 22# torsion springs on the rear and heavier Elka dual rate springs on the QS3 ski shocks. I tried tightening the center spring to no avail. Also let the straps out 1 hole which did not help either. I can't reduce preload on my shock springs as they are only 2 turns in from fully loose. I read someone on here trimmed the profile of the U-blade to match the carbide on the snow trackers but figured there's probably something else I'm missing.

I've got my skis (LTX GT EPS with aggressive trackers) as close to zero as I can get with the sled sitting on the floor. It's still a little "nervous". I need less ski pressure I assume. Will the Cat heavy center spring accomplish that? I'm a svelte 300# with 22# torsion springs on the rear and heavier Elka dual rate springs on the QS3 ski shocks. I tried tightening the center spring to no avail. Also let the straps out 1 hole which did not help either. I can't reduce preload on my shock springs as they are only 2 turns in from fully loose. I read someone on here trimmed the profile of the U-blade to match the carbide on the snow trackers but figured there's probably something else I'm missing.

Thats not good news. I was wondering about that with the Strike ski setup. So it sounds like the same problem as the Cat ski has with aggressive trackers. Doesn't matter how much ski pressure you have on trackers, they should not be nervous. They get nervous when they are mounted too far forward on the ski. I'd be calling the company.

Guess I know if I get a new sled with strike skis I'll need to swap them out for my Doo Race skis and aggressive trackers.

Thats not good news. I was wondering about that with the Strike ski setup. So it sounds like the same problem as the Cat ski has with aggressive trackers. Doesn't matter how much ski pressure you have on trackers, they should not be nervous. They get nervous when they are mounted too far forward on the ski. I'd be calling the company.

Guess I know if I get a new sled with strike skis I'll need to swap them out for my Doo Race skis and aggressive trackers.
I'm fairly certain I've caused the issue by springing the sled for my weight. Have identical machine for the wife with the same Aggressive Snow Trackers with all stock springs and she says hers is perfect and not to change a thing.

Yes, it was me who trimmed correctors to match profile of carbide. Can’t claim it was my idea but friend in Quebec who runs big miles every year. It makes all the difference in the world. Just like Knapp said, my friends was on cat skis, mine on curves. Semis didn’t do this but I wanted a little more bite in corners. My 2cents.

Guess I will see what the heavier center spring does first and it that doesn't fix it then I'll try trimming.

Guess I will see what the heavier center spring does first and it that doesn't fix it then I'll try trimming.
What spring are you going with ?, I have one, used it for one weekend and took it off, even with no preload it was way to rough of a ride..

Sounds to me like the ski loop is leading the sled....not good! I have a question, why does one need aggressive snow trackers with an EPS equipped sled?

Sounds to me like the ski loop is leading the sled....not good! I have a question, why does one need aggressive snow trackers with an EPS equipped sled?
Because the stock skags were darting. I like to ride hard and had Aggressive Snow Trackers on my EPS Apex and they worked flawlessly. Went same direction with this sled. They are working on wife's sled with stock springs. Only spring I haven't stiffened up yet on mine is the center. If that doesn't work, I'll be on to cutting the u-blade. Then I'll try different carbides and or skis.

Been using the aggressive one for 6000 miles on a sidewinder. I recommend getting the stingray mods front track spring. He has it figured out. I like the lighter steering so much I will always use the snowtrackers on it. It can be a bit grabby so I will try the simi aggressive this time. The fact they self sharpen should get more attention than it dose. I figure I got 2 or 3 wear bars of use by the time the snowtrackers were wore out. They will not track somebodies elses tracks.

Because the stock skags were darting. I like to ride hard and had Aggressive Snow Trackers on my EPS Apex and they worked flawlessly. Went same direction with this sled. They are working on wife's sled with stock springs. Only spring I haven't stiffened up yet on mine is the center. If that doesn't work, I'll be on to cutting the u-blade. Then I'll try different carbides and or skis.
Funny thing Ive been having bad darting issues with 23SRX I tried setting alignment 3 times 2sets of skis 3 sets of carbides dually and single keel and my sled is the most ill handling sidewinder i have ever had my 21LTX with same set up could steer with one hand this sled is a nightmare darting so bad especially on rail beds. Ivecome to the conclusion its the power steering its way to sensitive turns the same at 100 mph as it does sitting still, I'm almost ready to dump it its that bad. I wish I would have kept my old sled.

The power steering is speed sensitive, at higher speeds it is barely active at all. If your sled alignment is set for toe-out it will dart badly but darting is more a function of keel/carbide than anything else. I would start looking for the differences between the two model years. Something doesn't sound right.

Funny thing Ive been having bad darting issues with 23SRX I tried setting alignment 3 times 2sets of skis 3 sets of carbides dually and single keel and my sled is the most ill handling sidewinder i have ever had my 21LTX with same set up could steer with one hand this sled is a nightmare darting so bad especially on rail beds. Ivecome to the conclusion its the power steering its way to sensitive turns the same at 100 mph as it does sitting still, I'm almost ready to dump it its that bad. I wish I would have kept my old sled.

Ernie, do you have a set of Doo skis? If you do try a set of Aggressive Snowtrackers on them. They track dead straight on a non-power steering sled and turn awesome!

If they don't track straight then its for sure the power steering.

Now that there's mention of darting, I know when I rode my buds LTX-GT that is too was darting. I just thought is was because of the stock carbides. Maybe there's something to this. I know you know your stuff on these. Its got me wondering if the power steering is all that and a bag of chips. I know it sure steers nice at slow speeds when you want the easy steering.

Last edited:
My LTX GT eps does not dart . I would say it wanders a little bit. It does have single carbides on it and I had been running slim jims in my 2017 SW which tracked dead strait but pushed in certain conditions.
I am going to fool around with some ski shim combinations and see what happens.
Either way, I really like the EPS. Rode with some 850's last week that where experiencing some heavy steering in certain trail conditions. The EPS is the same steering effort, all the time, all day. It really shines in the woods.
I feel like this EPS system is "tighter" than the previous system on the Apex's and Vector that I have ridden. Those systems felt vague in steering and feel.

Back