• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snowmobile art as created by Artificial Intelligence

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
Very lounge worthy but I thought it was interesting.

I was invited to participate in a test of Dall-E which is a site that generates artwork based on a description you provide. An AI engine is used to not only understand the natural language description, it drives the creation and composition of art. The result is the AI interpretation of whatever it is you can describe.

The description I provided was;

stain glassed window with a snowmobile and a forest scene

I chose this description because snowmobiles, unlike cars aren't going to have a zillion images to train the AI from, stained glass as the medium of the artwork because its unique, and a forest just because. I think the results are interesting. Its obvious the AI engine understands what a snowmobile is but maybe not in any detail, things like the skis being the length of the sled make no sense but then nobody told the AI engine that a snowmobile is comprised of a track, engine, separate front skis, etc.. so it can only learn by observation. The result is a composite built up from separate observations (learnings) based on what makes stained glass look like stained glass, what is a snowmobile, where would you find one, and what is an appropriate depiction of the scene in stained glass. You can get very descriptive in what you ask the AI engine to accomplish and some of the results are just downright bizarre and others are quite impressive. Anyhow, I thought you guys might appreciate the subject of this test.

DALL·E 2022-08-04 17.29.45 - stain glassed window with a snowmobile and a forest scene.png
DALL·E 2022-08-04 17.29.25 - stain glassed window with a snowmobile and a forest scene.png
DALL·E 2022-08-04 17.32.02 - stain glassed window with a snowmobile and a forest scene 2.png
DALL·E 2022-08-04 17.36.45 - stain glassed window with a snowmobile and a forest scene 3.png

I'm pretty sure one of those is what the new Arctic cat will look like!

Foggy's Steakhouse in Christmas Michigan has stained glass windows with snowmobiles in it.
Next time I am there I'll snap a couple photos and compair.

An update.. AI is getting better. The overall image processing is improving but even the most advanced AI doesn't understand the context of what makes a snowmobile work, only what a snowmobile looks like. Mostly you see this in the complex bits of suspension where what the AI generates simply would not work.. I do like the last image however :)

1709819193136.png

1709819213684.png

1709819396892.png

1709819875081.png

Two more.. What is funny is that I stopped feeding prompts to the AI engine and started asking it to design a very specific mechanical solution to a problem. It gave me 4 options and I said "generate an image of number 4" and it came back with the two below images... WTF.. It completely forgot about the mechanical design discussion and went back to generating snowmobile images. Although... A for effort :)

1709820386167.png

Apparently she has a fan club

1709820408818.png

Back