• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

snowmobile safety

I have the Rocs lights on my Viper but seems few know what they mean.

THe easiest thing I’ve seen is an OLD guy i used to ride with would always lead and when he saw a sled coming he would just lift his throttle hand and quickly gesture - pointing his thumb behind him…..kind of a enough said there are sleds behind me. I miss him he’s gone now and IM the OLD MAN and thinking this may be the cheapest best way to keep our hand on the Bars and let oncoming riders know there’s more coming.

Really just always riding right is the key. I make it a game with myself can I carry this speed on my side of the trail? If NOT slow down IDIOT ya I mean ME.

I have the Rocs lights on my Viper but seems few know what they mean.

THe easiest thing I’ve seen is an OLD guy i used to ride with would always lead and when he saw a sled coming he would just lift his throttle hand and quickly gesture - pointing his thumb behind him…..kind of a enough said there are sleds behind me. I miss him he’s gone now and IM the OLD MAN and thinking this may be the cheapest best way to keep our hand on the Bars and let oncoming riders know there’s more coming.

Really just always riding right is the key. I make it a game with myself can I carry this speed on my side of the trail? If NOT slow down IDIOT ya I mean ME.

Agreed, playing the 'the trail is only this wide' game keeps you and others safe for the most part but then you run into that guy coming the other way who thinks he is playing a drifting game and sideways into you is okay.

I am usually leading. I act like every blind hill and corner has someone coming at me on my side of the trail. I also am looking far ahead as possible at all times. There has been a few times where I either had to take the side of trail into the pickers or a couple where there were two side by side and only way out was to completely abandon the corner and go straight off the left side. Thats when you pin it and look for a opening. If your sled is pushing in corners slow the heck down or fix it immediately! The things to remember are to always get your butt off the seat hanging to inside the corner on every corner. No matter if you are going 20mph or 80mph. This gives you the extra maneuverability to avoid all of them. Leave something on the table handling and throttle wise just for these occasions. Another good tip is always be prepared for the second and third person in the group coming at you. They are the ones playing catchup many times and dont have the skills to do it safely. Drive defensivly! I also run Rockz Safety light and am religious about using it in correct mode. Green no one behind,Orange 1 behind and flashing Orange multiple behind. I have had people tell me they see the odd light coming at them and they slow down. Highly recommend his light. it works.

To answer the point of "people don't know what the lights mean," that's region dependant. I ride mostly in the Adirondacks area of NY and at least 80% of sleds have the lights. We all know what they mean and I think they help let you know what to expect. The more we use them, the more that people will get it. Cheap price to pay for some added safety while keeping people's hands on the bars.

Vermont doesn't want you to use hand signals.
I have seen people try to signal me and start to lose control of their sled.
Keep your hands on the bars.
maine wardens dont want you to use hand signals either...want the hands on the bars and you should always assume another rider is coming.

I like the light idea but it has to come from the manufacturer and some sort of purchaser training in order for them to be effective. One in 3000 sleds will not impact the sport or its riders to make a positive impact for safety. Most will be confused of the extra light or not care.
I see about 40% use lights in Maine...it is less than half though. I think its an awesome idea. who wants to take their hands off he bars while navigating....simply not a safe practice and on straight aways it's just plain not needed

I am usually leading. I act like every blind hill and corner has someone coming at me on my side of the trail. I also am looking far ahead as possible at all times. There has been a few times where I either had to take the side of trail into the pickers or a couple where there were two side by side and only way out was to completely abandon the corner and go straight off the left side. Thats when you pin it and look for a opening. If your sled is pushing in corners slow the heck down or fix it immediately! The things to remember are to always get your butt off the seat hanging to inside the corner on every corner. No matter if you are going 20mph or 80mph. This gives you the extra maneuverability to avoid all of them. Leave something on the table handling and throttle wise just for these occasions. Another good tip is always be prepared for the second and third person in the group coming at you. They are the ones playing catchup many times and dont have the skills to do it safely. Drive defensivly! I also run Rockz Safety light and am religious about using it in correct mode. Green no one behind,Orange 1 behind and flashing Orange multiple behind. I have had people tell me they see the odd light coming at them and they slow down. Highly recommend his light. it works.
I actually bought them for the guys and gal I ride with, got them for Christmas presents for them last year...some were slow to use them but now they are on every sled, just makes sense.

And the OFSC still teaches to use hand signals.

And kinda hard to dispel hand signals when you have an organization like this that is backed by the US Dept of Transportation and Manufacturers.
excuse me but isn't the US department of transportation run by Mayor Pete Budagigebutt...I'm sure the USDOT has it sh#%! together...jut look at all the ships backed up and supply chain...sorry couldn't help myself. I feel much better listening to the Maine Wardens myself..after all they snowmobile too...hand signals are ok when waving to other riders coming by lol

excuse me but isn't the US department of transportation run by Mayor Pete Budagigebutt...I'm sure the USDOT has it sh#%! together...jut look at all the ships backed up and supply chain...sorry couldn't help myself. I feel much better listening to the Maine Wardens myself..after all they snowmobile too...hand signals are ok when waving to other riders coming by lol
If the government is involved it’s surely a failure.

If the government is involved it’s surely a failure.
totally agree...I had my home heating oil company call me and let me know the cost for #2 heating oil is now $6.09/ gallon, not long ago it was $2.49....thanks to our government, so my rant on USDOT is in that light.
Everyone on this site is certainly concerned about enjoying a great ride and making it back safely, hands signal or ride lights go a long way in that regards. Clearly Mooseman who lives in Canada generally have wider trails and longer straight aways than the conditions I ride in in Maine and I appreciate his thoughts on safety...if the cost of living keeps on going up we won't have to worry about trail safety because we will loose allot of participation in this awesome sport.

Back