• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Solution to Intermitant Reverse Actuator Failure

SnoNinja

aka "Plan B"
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX-LE
2016 Vector LE For my Bride
2007 Phazer GT, 136" Stretch.
2002 SXR600 (still own)
1997 SX600 (sold)
1997 XT500 (sold)
2013 Can-Am Maverick 1000XRS
2006 Dodge Charger RT - Top Banana Daytona
I finally got sick of my reverse not working until the sled warmed up after sitting in a cold trailer overnight and went looking for a solution.

I removed the actuator from the sled and found about a teaspoon of water inside the actuator gear housing and motor, and I'm pretty sure that once frozen it prevents the actuator from operating until the sled warms enough for the ice to turn back in to water.

While I had it apart, I split the motor from the gear housing (four Phillips screws), and cleaned the brush and armature to make sure that contact was good. I cleaned all of the grease out and put in new, and sealed it with dielectric sealant as I reassembled. All also cleaned up the metal on the gear insert (both sides).

If you are having intermittent reverse actuator problems, I suggest taking it apart for an inspection and cleaning. It might be the relay, but it could just as well be water inside the actuator like I found.

Picture of the water on the floor is what I dumped out.

These are pretty simple to take apart and reassemble.

URKX7391 reduced.jpg

WBCR2249 reduced.jpg

WFKA8928 reduced.jpg

Does there need to be a vent on these motors?
I've often noticed that fan motors for radiators on atv's are vented and have a nipple with hose.

I'm not sure how all the water gets in, but once in there, it can't get out. The gearbox part is not sealed up and the dust cover just snaps on. maybe a well placed drain hole would give a pathway for water to drain out of the gearbox. I have two sleds, and the actuator gearbox on the XTX was perfectly dry and no corrosion. The LTX actuator gearbox was full of water, goo, corrosion and rusty gunk.

As said above, I did seal it up better to prevent water intrusion and will check after a few rides in the deep to see if it's taking on water.

I tore mine apart last night and cleaned it all up. Still isnt working correctly, i think she is pooched. Seems to always cycle back to forward at least when i shut the machine off. So i can still ride it anyways.

I tore mine apart last night and cleaned it all up. Still isnt working correctly, i think she is pooched. Seems to always cycle back to forward at least when i shut the machine off. So i can still ride it anyways.
It's supposed to do that. It sounds like you might have a relay issue.

Really?? Humn i swapped both relays and nothing. Interesting, is there any upgraded relays for these things or just order the oem from the dealer? I will check the switch again too

Is it not shifting at all, or just intermitantly? Weird that it returns to forward because if it was toast, I wouldn't think it would do that either.

It was doing it intermittently, then stopped all together. I cleaned it, benched tested it worked 3 times then doesn't work when switched. Just returns to forward. Im at a loss now, but if i can find a relay i will try that first.

Makes me wonder if there's moisture in the switch preventing contact so the relays don't know what to do...

On other test would be to simply put 12 volts to it on the bench and see if it spins. If it does, rule out the actuator and start chasing the circuit to find the bad part.

I hate electronics. Why don't we have a simple dial. Turn it counter clockwise for drive, and clockwise for reverse...

She has been in the heated garage for 3 days. Should be dried out? The switch did test fine as per the manual. I am going to try and jump the motor with some alligator clips

Funny you say that...i was thinking about gearing something up like that. Just worries i am going to smash my knee on it haha

Funny you say that...i was thinking about gearing something up like that. Just worries i am going to smash my knee on it haha
That was our thought too

Back