• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Solving Starter Relay Corrosion and air intake screw tightening

Ok I still can't get the darn wires to come out! I filed a jeweler's screwdriver down and was able to get it between the connector and the plug body, but the wire would not pull out. What the heck. I don't want to break it. But I was flexing the plug body quite a bit so I stopped. Any other ideas? I won't sleep until I know I have those connectors cleaned. I'm thinking of splicing a new plug in that has no corrosion. I really don't want to go that route though...Thanks

I think you are worrying too much about it use a tooth brush to get it as clean as possible throw a little dielectric grease on it and forget about it. the main thing is to put a little grease on it to prevent any future moisture.

I probably am. I tend to do that with stuff like this. I did use a wire brush as best I could but jamming the bristles in didn't seem great for the plastic so I stopped. A regular toothbrush sounds like a good idea.

some baking soda and water solution will help clean it too. good luck. I had the same thing on my 07 did just as I said and it never gave me a problem again. 9000 miles after that before I traded it in.

So just mix it up and dip the plug in it. A toothbrush for good measure. Then dry it out good and dielectric after that?

rinse with clean water and spray with WD-40 to displace the water then grease and reconnect done.

Unfortunately, need to revisit this one again...Sled is all done for the most part, but for the second time in the last 2 weeks, I turned the key and it wouldn't start. It powers up, and the fuel pump relay cycles, but the starter doesn't crank. I feel like I cleaned the connector up really well, but maybe I didn't. But assuming I did, any advice on what else to look at? Could the relay itself be questionable? It is used (I replaced the original), but it was completely free of visible corrosion. Could it be something else? Bad ground block?

All I can say is that I got my used relay from the same place as you and it was bad and this was on a new starter so was definitely bad relay but for $10 took gamble. Ended up buying new relay and all is good. You may have a starrer going out but BoP sells them, albeit aftermarket, but a hellavu lot cheaper than OEM. With how easy it is to get to it, Travis made the case to go aftermarket and even if by chance have to replace, 2 of them is still cheaper than OEM

But it doesn't sounds like there's a good way to troubleshoot it, it just comes down to replacing parts? Does a bad starter just do nothing? I would think if it was corrosion, just turning a second time would not result in starting. Maybe.

Last edited:
When you have this issue while cranking, give the top connector on the starter relay a wiggle to see if it is making good connection, this is how I found out my no start issue. The problem with these spade/lug type connectors is the female end tends to lose it's grip, (ya, sounds dirty I know), the curled sides tend to back off as this connection is one that gets taken apart more than others. I compressed the curls on mine so it was an interference fit with the spade lug (male) side, problem solved. A buddy had the same issue, however it ended up being the starter relay itself. Also, make sure the battery is at full charge.

Yes when my starter was going bad it would do nothing when you turned the key over. You still had power to fuel injectors so that's why they cycle up when turning the key. I could always get the starter to turn over by tapping it with a long screwdriver until that quit working and it went completely bad.

What happens is I turn the key and nothing. Not even a click or anything. I turn again and it starts right up. Right now the sled is all put together, so can't get to the starter relay easily when it doesn't crank. And often, it does start on the second try. It's only done it about 3 times in the last 3 months too, so not much...just don't want to get into a no start situation on the trail.

Last edited:
Sounds like maybe the relay is going bad. When my starter was going bad and would not turn over, you could at least hear the relay click when turning over the key. Once the relay and starter went out, then there was nothing when turning the key.

I hear no click. Nothing. Nada. :D So I would say corrosion on connectors (I really don't think so), or maybe the relay. I probably should just put a new one in. Don't really want to pull pod and airbox again, but easy enough I guess.

Back