• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SOMETHING EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ!!!!

hahler2

Extreme
I saw this over on dootalk.com and thought that I would share this with you guys. After reading it all I could do was sit and stare at the computer screen for awhile. Something very similar happened to me and my friend a couple years ago. Fortuneately he survived, though he lost the use of his left arm. I thought maybe Tom could sticky this for me too. Anyway, here it is.

-Just like you-

I am not a writer. In fact, this is the first time I've written anything since college. I am, however, a snowmobiler.

My friends and I are probably just like you. We are all in our late twenties to early thirties, and single white males. We have pretty good jobs; some own their house, others rent. We hunt and fish, watch football and NASCAR, go to bars and church festivals. We have problems with women, like fast cars and Schwartzeneggar movies. We think we can dance, but look like Frankenstein having a seizure when a girl drags us onto the floor. We could probably switch places with any of you and fit right into your group.

We have owned sleds from all manufacturers over the years. Our first sleds were junkpiles and we still make fun of them. We work on our own sleds and help each other with theirs. We watch the weather forecasts waiting for snow and read all the snowmobiling magazines drooling over the new sleds. We put 600 miles on the truck to put 200 on the sled. We have all entered corners too fast, and all missed turns at night at one time or another. We laughed at slow riders that putted along at 15 mph. We rode with the feeling of invincibility that only youth can bring.

Our youth ended February 14, 2003.

In a small town about 10 miles South of Crandon, at 11:00 PM my friend Jim Smolen lost his life. He was only 28. He died within a half mile of the cabin, within half an hour of unloading the sleds off of the trailer. The reconstruction showed that he hit a stump under the snow, was thrown off, and hit a tree. At least he didn't suffer. Excessive speed was believed to have been involved, even though the sled wasn't wrecked. It looked like he just stepped off of it. He did have ONE or TWO beers, but I must say that I have seen people drink much more - I'm not condoning it, but I know you have too. Jim was riding as long as I can remember, 5+ years at least, riding the same sled he had for three years. We have all seen the articles in the papers that give little detail; letting us assume it was an inexperienced rider, totally drunk, on a brand new, huge displacement sled.

What the newspaper articles do not show is how it affects everyone else. They don't show the undescribable horror of seeing a close friend lying in the snow bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose and mouth. They don't show the blank stare in his unblinking eyes as you try to remember the CPR you learned in high school. They don't show the panic felt during the longest half mile you will ever ride back to the cabin to call 911. They don't show the feeling of helplessness as you spend the longest HALF HOUR of your life waiting for an ambulance. They don't tell about men who haven't prayed in years dropping to their knees and saying a prayer. They don't show the feeling of uneasiness as you drive HIS truck to the hospital. They don't show the cold you feel as you wait until 4:30AM when the doctors give you the news you already knew but still can't bring yourself to hear. They don't tell the flood of emotions you feel as you have to call your friend's parents in the middle of the night to tell them that their son has died. They don't mention that none of his friends will get any sleep for days. They don't mention the nightmares when they do. They don't tell about the DNR showing up at 8:00AM the next day to fill out paperwork and make them relive it all again. They don't tell about grown men breaking down and crying. They don't tell about the longest, quietest drive home ever.

His roommate is the one who found him, called his parents, and drove his truck home. He has closed the kitchen window blinds so he doesn't have to see his truck. He had to close the kitchen cabinet to keep from seeing his box of corn flakes. He is now afraid of the dark. Our season is over.

The human body is so frail, so easily damaged. If you have an accident in a big city, help is only about five minutes away. If you have an accident in the north woods help could be forty miles away or more. Think about it: that's like having an accident in Milwaukee and having to wait for an ambulance from Illinois. And then having to go to a hospital back in Illinois.

I am not asking for speed limits, or other restrictions. Just please, PLEASE be careful. Slow down just a little. Skip that beer and have a soda instead. Ask yourself if it is worth the consequences to go flying through the woods. Your friends WILL wait for you. Death is forever. Think of all the good times you would miss. Take a little time and look at the beauty of nature. There are those that no longer can.

We laid Jim to rest today. If only one person is affected by this pointless loss, and a single life is saved, Jim's death would have meaning and all of us could have some closure.

I know you think that this only happens to "the other guy". So did we. Just like you.

Good read,

I have seen the WI DNR report on this crash and this young man had a Blood Alcohol Content of .166 after the accident so at the time of the crash it was higher. My point is he had more than "one or two beers".

One beer is one beer too many when riding on trails shared by others.

Once you see the glaze of death in someones eyes after hitting a tree because they have had too much to drink, you lose your tolerence and understanding for people who drink and drive on the same trails we ride on.

No doubt in my mind alcohol played a role in this crash.

Out of respect I don't want to get into a discussion about this particular crash, so here are the facts from the report.

Victim was third in line of four sleds, high rate of speed, lost control at the crest of a hill, veered off trail, struck trees located 8 feet from trail.

I don't even know what to say. You may all think I'm a big sap, but as I read that, thinking of my children, and what they could miss if their dad was gone, and all the great friends I have made through this site, it brought me to tears. This is one of my biggest fears, being a hardcore snowmobiler and webmaster of this site, is having to deal with this happening on a TY ride. PLEASE READ THIS and think about the consequences. I have had several near misses with oncoming traffic that was not my fault, but that doesn't mean something couldn't happen to me to cause me or anyone to go out of control. Thank you so much for posting this. I will make it sticky. :(

Accidents do happen but it is the speed and alcohol or other drug that kills. Slow down and smell the pine in the fresh air. For instance Musher Mama was disapointed we couldnt go around and see the beautiful cabins on Lac Du Bonnet on the Manitoba ride instead of racing across the lake.

I agree, after reading this what does a guy say. We all love to ride and we tend to push it, sometimes a little to hard. Sure does put a pit right in your gut after reading this, I read this twice and also found myself staring into space afterwards.

I don't think you would be a big sap Tom, as I'm sure alot of us have had those thoughts. As said above we all just think it will happen to the other guy, or we just don't want to think about it at all.

The scary part is,this could be your friends writing about you!!
PLEASE be smart,Know your limits, leave the booze alone till the sleds are parked
stay safe, Great site,
been following for a long time.

I've been staring at this empty white box for about 15 mins (what to say, what to say :( ) While drinking definitely impairs your riding skills, excessive speed can be just as dangerous. I like what Sled Dog said about smelling the pines and taking in the views. Slow down a little and enjoy your surroundings there's just as much beauty in the scenery you ride in as there is in the snow dust from a 110mph sled in front of you. Manitoba would be a good example I did'nt get to see too much of it even though i had a fantastic time! On that corner where Nos Pro missed the turn what would have happened at the speed we were traveling if a dad giving his 6 year old a ride had been coming down the trail the otherway, I'm not picking on NOS or anyone here we are all just as guilty i put it sideways more than once myself. This post just made me think about it, what if it was one of my bud's i ride with I don't think i'd ever be the same and having to tell his family well it's just unimaginable, We all have families like Tom said, lets not make ourselves a memory only. Ride safe guys and save the booze for the hot tub :ORC

HI Guys,

I'm new to your site and have been actively reading all of your posts the past week. I would like to share this quick story with you all and let you form your own opinions but my experience may also get people thinking.

I'm a speed demon that's been riding sleds since the early 90's Since that time I've had my share of spills (some my fault and some not) but I've thankfully never collided with another rider. There's two places I refuse to go heavy on the gas. One is over the crest of a hill and the other is around a curve. Enough about that let me get to the point.

Two years ago I was riding the mountains of Vermont. It was early in the season and on this morning the trails were silky smooth. I remember thinking how the trails weren't usually this good until I got up into Canada. I came to a fork in the trail and slowed down to make the turn. Just as I nailed the gas (maybe to 25 to 30 MHP) my left ski hit somthing in the MIDDLE of the trail which caused my handlebars to jerk to the left ferociously. I lost my grip on one hand and from there everything got worse. My sled started doing flips and I too was doing some flips. My Sled got destroyed and I luckily just broke my foot and bruised some muscles.

I went back in total shock to try and find out what had caused this. There she phucken laid. A large root that had grown and was protruding out of the ground. All she had was a little scuff mark. I realized that had it been in the middle of the season there probobly would have been enough of a base where this root would have been a non issue.

Do I still love to race down those trails? Absolutly....but I will NEVER forget that crash because the it could have been my head in stead of my foot that hit that tree!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you guys more. That's why I decided to share this with you. That accident that I was talking about in my first post the guy had been drinking quite a bit and they were going way too fast on the river. With all the snowdust in the air he didn't see a tree coming. It was ugly. That's why the only thing you will ever see me drinking while I'm riding is water. As convert said, save the drinking for afterwards and lets be safe while we're riding.

Saving the drinking for afterwards is a good idea, and should be followed, but what about the hangover or the still a little drunk in the morning riders? something to think about.

Excellent post ;)!

The only thing I can add from my own experience and (previous) attitude is that we're often too quick to lay these incidents off on alcohol. We sometimes trick ourselves into thinking that we can ride "agressive" because we're sober and don't drink until the sled's parked bla, bla, bla.

Six or eight years ago, maybe more now, I pushed myself and my sleds to the limit. I was never passed by faster riders on the trail because nobody was riding faster. I considered the river a mile from my house to be my own personal race course. I'd come home from work and troll the river looking for people to race. Loved every minute of it and also balled up more than my share of sleds. But what the heck, that was all a part of it, my dealer even started using the term "Steve'd" in place of "wrecked" as I was doing it so often.

The one that got me to slow down happened at slow speed, on my kid's Phazer. It was the first ride of the season, I was setting up all my sleds, the Phazer was the last and I'm taking a leisurely ride back to the trailer on a straight where I had been riding 110 mph indicated the day before.

As I'm putting along, I see a truck coming down a hill on my right. I'm puzzled because there's no trail there so there should be no truck there. I'm just looking at the truck, still not believing what I'm seeing, when I notice that his wheels are locked and he's been sliding down that hill (no trail) the whole time.

By the time I woke up and realized the truck was real I was almost on top of it. I grabbed a handful of brake and tried to go where the truck had been but it was too late. I body slammed the side of the truck at maybe 25 mph or even less. The back of the Phazer went under the truck, knocking off the seat and scattering all my tools over the trail.

My first thought was "This is why I gave up road bikes." My second thought was "What if this happened yesterday when I was going 110?"

The damage to the sled was nothing and I only had the wind knocked out of me but I almost gave up sledding over that simple event. Evidently, something finally clicked in my feeble brain that this snowmobile stuff is serious business.

Today, you'll find me cruising along, enjoying the scenery, letting faster riders go fast, just enjoying the ride. Sometimes I'll turn up the wick and let it rip but that's more the exception than the rule.

Everyone has to find their own way, I found mine up against the side of a F150....

That's a tough story to read. Still, if his BAC was 0.16, he was really drunk. It takes 4-5 American beers for an average male to reach 0.08. Neither me nor anyone I ride with drinks anything until the sleds are silent. The way I see it, sledding is an expensive hobby. $10 000 for the sled, $2000 for fuel, insurance, etc. If you still need alcohol to make it fun, you REALLY picked the wrong hobby.
Good post.

We all get into our own comfort zone, some of us stay there, some of us feel the need for the adrenalin rush. This story will slow alot of us back into the comfort zone. WE ARE FRAGILE CREATURES Stay alive & ride safe. :Rockon:

Back