• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark Plug Boots

Newcastle Scott

Veteran
Fired my 03 RX-1 mtn for the 1st time since April last night. While cranking it over for almost a minute until it primed up and started I noticed spark arcing around a couple of the spark plug boots and the valve cover.

I Popped off the plug boot and inspected the part that contacts the tip of the plug and it barely touches, if at all, the plug. Part of the threaded area at the top of the plug actually has grooves were spark arcing has eaten away material. I have noticed black soot on the plug boots previously while changing plugs. I think that’s a sign of spark arcing.

Engine runs okay but I’m sure it would run and idle smoother if the only place a spark was jumping was plug gap area. Seems the contact area on the plug boot and plug is just a spring-tensioned wire, never was very snug contact when new and is less then that now.

Has anyone else had this observation and have they been successful in getting Yamaha to warranty the plug boots? Looked up the price on Port Yamaha’s site and they’re $75 each. I got the 4 year YES warranty and am going to take one of plug boots into the dealer to see if they will do anything about it.

I seen an 03 that had the same problem. It appeared that the boots were never properly pushed on. If you notice there are a good 3-4 clicks while pushing the boot on. The boot was never touched by my friend or anyone until it got to his dealer for an oil change. It either happened at the factory or the dealer during prep.

Use silcone dialectric compound (napa part # ML2) on wires. Put some in boot where it goes over plug and small amount around boot where it seals around head. this will make a water seal and assist in install and removal.

I don't know if they would warrenty it but my 2003 boots were full of soot also, i cleaned them & i swear it ran better. I also have the warrenty & will talk to my dealer about it . keep us posted how you make out.

Mine does the same thing, but seems to run fine.

i had some trouble with those as well. i cleaned them with break clean and sealed the boots back on with silcone. ran great after and i dont have to open the throtle to start it. just turn the key and vroom ;)!

Plug Wires

Mine leak too ............

The caps shouldnt leak (spark to engine). They are mitsubishi caps and expensive. I'm currently looking for options. Beru makes good wires and caps that are used on German Vehicles. They are also expensive but may perform better.

That YES warranty is worth something after all. Yamaha is replacing all my plug caps. Just picked up 4 of them up at the dealer. $77.00 per cap retail, for me, $0.00. Now we just need some snow in Washington.

Dont tell this to my boss but yamaha changed those caps/coils in 2005
they know there is a problem... you should try waranty..

I had the same problem with my 03 RX-1 as Newcastle Scott described. Dealer changed them - - no questions asked. Yamaha knows this is a problem.

mine was just in the dealer for a loss of about 800rpm and it seemed to run good but i could tell by who i was racin that it was alot slower than normal. It turned out to be the caps, my rpm instantly went right back up on the dyno, and yes my dealer covered it under warranty! i did have the Y.E.S. though, cant wait to try it now. If i were you i would get em changed. ;)!

I assume the 04 caps are the same as the 03's and we can expect ours to eventually break down too??

03rx1m-- My number 1 cylinder boot has been showing signs of breaking down but the three others are still ok. Found it was not fitting tight from the factory. Time will tell about the others.

I have not had any arcing or rough idling, but did notice that the caps werent all of the way down. That would have been my fault as I am on my third set of plugs. I used a soft faced hammer to get them all of the way on, just a couple of light taps each.

Back