• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sprucing up a high Mileage Apex

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
My Dad just bought a Sidewinder. He has a 2012 Apex std with 13,000 miles on it. I was going to ask him what he wanted for it. It is in mint condition, but it could use a track and exhaust donuts. What else should be taken into consideration? Here is what I was thinking if I can get it for the right price:

Ripsaw II or Cobra Track
Check all Bogie wheels
Send all shocks to Hygear. Any input on the dual spring for the monshock? What about the front shock kit?
Snotrackers or Pilot skis
It already has the 13MM sway bar.
WRP seat
Riser?
Check Exup valve, replace with header if bad
Rebuild clutches.
Replace bearings during track swap

Last edited:

I think a riser is a must even more so if you go with WRP seat. I like Snow Trackers. check front end bushings too. look at chain closely while apart and maybe change just because.

that's not high mileage, that's just getting broke in. LOL

unless the exhaust gaskets/donuts wore out and we're not fixed right away the header should be good. clutches probably only need a good cleaning , i bet that's all it needs. the secondary might need new bushings thou.

Although I snow checked the 18 Apex XT-X, I decided to keep my 40th anniv 08 Apex LTX . And with it having 14,000 miles, I too am replacing the track with a Ripsaw II; ordered one over the weekend. However, along with the drive axle bearing and jack shaft bearing, I am also replacing the front/rear top chain case bearings and seals and front bottom chain case bearing and seal. I plan on keeping this Apex for another 10,000 miles so thought it was best to not only replace all the bearings but also the seals. I also am sending my front Ohlins shocks and rear EC Ohlins shock to Hygear for re-valving and an on the fence with their twisted sprint kits. I'm leaning toward having the rear shock use their spring kit and leaving the fronts stock as I haven't really had issues with the front after going to a the 13mm sway bar. Since I've already done the oilite bushings and copper exhaust donuts and have replaced the bogie wheels with over sized wheels, the drive-chain bearings, seals, and track were pretty much the only things left to keep this high mileage sled as dependable as the first day I got it.

I am going through my 14000 mile xtx right now. The a arm bushings at the spindle and ski bolt bushings need to be done to tighten up the front end. Definatly change the bushings in the secondary clutch and the ramp buttons. Grease the jackshaft bearing when you take that clutch off. Changing the chain would be a good idea and check those bearings and seals in the chaincase. Check the donuts and exup cables and adjust valve if necessary. Go through the rear skid and change the drive shaft bearing and you'll be good to go. Shock rebuild is a good idea for sure. Wrp seat and riser are a nice addition as well.

Last edited:
The a arm bushings at the spindle and ski bolt bushings need to be done to tighten up the front end. Definatly change the bushings in the secondary.
Any suggestions on how to remove those ski bolt bushings? Checked mine and there's a lot of play and want to replace both bushings but not having any luck pounding them out from inside the backside of ski bolt cylinder. Secondary was good with no play but not even sure I would know how to replace them. Have already replaced ramps.

I used a medium sized flat headed screwdriver and pound them out from the inside. They are not easy to get out, just have to get the screwdriver against the edge of it and hammer it out.

Be careful with a Standard screwdriver you don't gouge the cylinder the bushing rides in. I use a round length of brass tap both sides of the bushing working from side to side. I also have a aluminum shaft that works good for driving out bushings and such.

My Dad just bought a Sidewinder. He has a 2012 Apex std with 13,000 miles on it. I was going to ask him what he wanted for it. It is in mint condition, but it could use a track and exhaust donuts. What else should be taken into consideration? Here is what I was thinking if I can get it for the right price:

Ripsaw II or Cobra Track
Check all Bogie wheels
Send all shocks to Hygear. Any input on the dual spring for the monshock? What about the front shock kit?
Snotrackers or Pilot skis
It already has the 13MM sway bar.
WRP seat
Riser?
Check Exup valve, replace with header if bad
Rebuild clutches.
Replace bearings during track swap

Are the donuts leaking? Or just changing them for insurance? Just asking as curious as to how long they will last. Mine are at 11,000 and not leaking yet! Exup and cables still Functioning properly at 10,000 when last apart! Bushings all tight in front end.

me and my buddy both blew out the donuts this past year about 10,000 on each sled.

me and my buddy both blew out the donuts this past year about 10,000 on each sled.

Good to know I will check mine when I go through it! Mine are not leaking but a closer inspection won't hurt! Have about 8 to 9,000 now on second set in my Warrior. Have a spare set but they won't fit the 11 Apex!

Back