• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spun bearings

Sandy

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
07 phazer
Hi. I’m new to this forum. Sorry if this has been discussed before but my eyes started to go screwey after 50 or so pages of searching.

I have recently purchased my third Yamaha Phazer and the third one with spun bearings on the rods. Over the years I have talked with other phaser owners that stated this was a known problem. my question is is there a relatively decent fix or what is causing the failure to start with? The first sled I bought off of a friend who always serviced the motor at the dealership using Yamalube. This did not stop the spinning bearing issue. As I am getting older I feel I will keep this particular sled for a very long time and do not want to have this problem happen again. Thank you for your time

Over the years I have talked with other phaser owners that stated this was a known problem.
Never heard of THIS problem however, is this a low mileage unit? The early 07 did have a problem with a reduction gear defect that would destroy the engine early. There have been a couple of very low mileage barn finds that have come up that Yamaha will not cover since they are out of warranty.

Another possibility is a total loss of oil pressure due to accidentally double stacking the oil filter gaskets with the old one that stayed on the block and losing all the oil.

Other than that, these engines are bulletproof as long as they are maintained and oiled.

Hmmm. I must be very unlucky. I wouldn’t consider them low mileage, but for what these engines are capable of, ya they are low mileage. My first one sized up around 7k km. Ish. Hard to remember exact numbers.

Something to note, rod bearings are destroyed, mains are perfect. I mean reusable perfect ( I won’t) on all three engines. So I don’t think it’s a lack of oil, or being run on its side, like I’ve heard. This appears to be a rod issue. So I hoping to find a update fix, if there is such a thing.

Oh. And the timing chain side is always slightly better shape. I could get away with emery cloth polish on the crank and rod. The other side is a total loss.

To have three with spun rod bearings is extremely unusual. I've had three go through my hands and no problems like that at all. The 09, which is now my oldest son's, is very abused with spotty maintenance. That is why I'm surprised of your troubles.

I've only seen one do this and it had been ran without coolant and was in terrible condition.
To my knowledge this is not a common problem. They have a low oil pressure shut down also.
I drove one for two years and it spent all its time at full throttle.

Last edited:
Have your buddy you bought it from take it back to his dealer and get the yamalube warranty to pay for the engine.

Thanks for the comments. They are helpful. For me to find three all with the most uncommon problem is not surprising. I seem to attract this kind of problems lol

over 15000 km on the phazer rtx/x in the family and no evidence of it when i had it torn down for staor.

Have you torn into them yet? How have you determined it's spun bearings?

Edit: Never mind. I just reread your post saying you've torn into them already.

There is this thread that shows a complete teardown by @cannondale27 . Also shows the destruction of the reduction gear that affected those early engines.

Maybe get in touch with Barn of Parts. He may have complete engines or good used parts. Maybe he can confirm it's a common issue.

Agreed. What puzzles me is that there is zero oil starvation issues anywhere else in the engine. It’s only the rod bearings. Everything else is mint. After being a mechanic my entire career, oil starvation issues never affect 1 component of an engine

So it’s my belief that it’s a rod issue or bad bearing issue possibly.

Back