• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

My dealer didnt know about the speed problem tell i till them. well check with them and see if they know about the flash for speed.
so how do yours start now? 1 or 2 tries?
Takes two times to fire when cold. One time after that. Sled runs great.

Sled was reflashed on Dec 23. Not happy with the reflash. Speedo is correct, but starting is very inconsistent. Cold always takes two tries if throttle left at idle. Seems to start on first cold start if throttle is bumped just a tad. Warm starts are all over the place at idle. Some times lights right off, other times wont even try to fire on the first warm crank with throttle released.. Always starts on the second warm crank with throttle released. Bumping the throttle on warm starts also starts on first try. Come on Yamaha/Cat, can't ya get this right?

Sled was reflashed on Dec 23. Not happy with the reflash. Speedo is correct, but starting is very inconsistent. Cold always takes two tries if throttle left at idle. Seems to start on first cold start if throttle is bumped just a tad. Warm starts are all over the place at idle. Some times lights right off, other times wont even try to fire on the first warm crank with throttle released.. Always starts on the second warm crank with throttle released. Bumping the throttle on warm starts also starts on first try. Come on Yamaha/Cat, can't ya get this right?

Have you had starting issues even before reflash?

My speedometer is slow 5-6mph since 2016 flash.
I'll see what my dealer says today.
I know it's impossible, but I sure would like the 2015 flash back.

Have you had starting issues even before reflash?

No, re-flash was supposed to prevent kickback and starter damage. Maybe it does perform that task, but starting quality is very inconsistent now. Before the re-flash it always started on the first try, warm or cold, although cranking time did vary a bit.

After 400 miles on the new flash with my 2016 XTX, the only negative is the engine dying unexpectedly on 5 or 6 occasions.

Everything else is great. The speedometer appears to be spot on with my GPS at all speeds. It runs smooth and there is little or no surge at idle. At first, cold starts always took two tries, but lately, it has been starting first try almost every time. I have been riding with two or three other Vipers, and even though I am still in the break-in period. I have consistently taken the least amount of fuel at every fill-up. I know some of that may be due to differences in riding styles, but I have been setting the pace as the lead sled the entire time, and still burning less fuel.

Mine is way off now, like 10-15kmhr. Before the flash last year I was within 2kmhr

Back