• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
My sled was snow checked in 2015, build date was 7-14 and I picked it up in late September at that time.
I’ve kept it all stock and ran that sled in severe cold before any updates. Make no mistake it always started very quirky but never blew mufflers.
Since the Yamaha update flashes, I’ve had 2 installed, this condition occurred.
There just fixing the damage under my yes warranty and not doing anything else at this point.

Dumb question but does this backfire happen with just the stock exhaust? Possibility that the stock exhaust has too much back pressure causing the issue? I know some stocks exhausts are gutted but they are still restricted more than the after market cans.
Just a thought ?

My sled is stock, no mods. It started quirky since new but never "required" a flash update until the fall of 2017. I was told to get the flash or lose the warranty.

Dumb question but does this backfire happen with just the stock exhaust? Possibility that the stock exhaust has too much back pressure causing the issue? I know some stocks exhausts are gutted but they are still restricted more than the after market cans.
Just a thought ?
I had a Sandale can on mine and it did it a few times this year. I went back to stock, and I'm worried that it might blow it up!

If it shot gun blasts.... your factory muffler is done!!!!!

Yesterday morning I had the backfire many have reported. Had the stock can back on. BOOM! Glad I had helmet on because it was so loud it was felt in my ears. So TD Max the answer of whether they cut fuel with new flash after extended crank. No!

How cold was it? Was it a stock/stock modified/ or aftermarket muffler?

Started perfectly from knew then went for service on clutches dealer flashed without telling them , rough starting in morning don't matter how cold 2 trys usual , warm hit and miss 1 or 2 trys kinda embarrassing at times ,2016 mtx shoulda left without flash done

Yup!!!! Been there!!!
I just sold mine, had enough of the ridiculous engine management design and Yamaha corporate not owning up to there short comings with this issue.
But had over 8000 miles of pure fun with memories of where me and the viper had traveled.

Ok who has had there sled stall for no reason with this latest flash? MT Cooler has had it happen twice and now mine did it.

I added the stalling selection to the Poll. If yours has stalled since latest flash please add it to your vote.

WTF. My '16 Viper never had a starting issue. I had the gauge cluster replaced in December 2017 under warranty because there was moisture in it. I think the dealer re-flashed it because now it takes at least two turns of the key to start. And - it wiped out my odometer and set it to zero miles, but didn't overwrite the hour meter. Bonus if I want to lie about the mileage when I sell it (I actually wouldn't do that), but the hour meter is a dead giveaway. And top speed is 88 mph. Again. WTF.

I have to say, a lot if guys are complaining about having two-try starts after the flash. I'll take that all day if it means that my motor won't eat itself up with an expensive kick-back!
Jsslye, are you saying that the reflash has effected your top end? I thought it raised the rev limit?

I have to say, a lot if guys are complaining about having two-try starts after the flash. I'll take that all day if it means that my motor won't eat itself up with an expensive kick-back!
Jsslye, are you saying that the reflash has effected your top end? I thought it raised the rev limit?
I agree. The latest flash has my motor turning over faster than before. It must help with kickbacks but I never had one ever. Motor just seems free'er turning over others have noticed same thing. Two try starts. No big deal. Backfire IS a big deal. Stalling out of Blue is a HUGE deal.

Back