• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Amazing...i ve called 1
yammy dealer and 2 cat dealers... all i get told is ...."what flash" we don t show any new flash'sfor th e.c.u ..

Last edited:

Other dealer going to charge half an hour he is double dipping cause yamaha pays him for this
My dealer said Yamaha only pays him 15 min to install the flash.

Can i guy remove the e.c.u themselfs and take just the e.c.u to a shop?? Save dragin sleds 2 hrs each way?

Amazing...i ve called 1
yammy dealer and 2 cat dealers... all i get told is ...."what flash" we don t show any new flash'sfor th e.c.u ..

My Yamaha dealer in Quebec (Sports Max) is doing them and a buddy had his flashed at his dealer in Saint John...When I went in they said the same thing but they looked on their computer and found it.

Can i guy remove the e.c.u themselfs and take just the e.c.u to a shop?? Save dragin sleds 2 hrs each way?

I don't think you can. The key has to be turned on during the flash and ECU reboots after the download is complete.

Got my 14 Viper RTX back today with the 12/21/19 ECU flash. Takes 2-3 seconds to start, but now it stays running and the idle is smooth and consistent, was about 9 degrees at the time of starting. Definitely an improvement. Will have it on the snow this weekend. Hopefully I don't experience any of the warm start issues I've been reading about.

Sh&tty... we ll they will be rode this winter without the new flash... no time to be trailering them to the closeist dealer to me "2hrs each way" that actually knows about the flash and can do it...... does nt hurt not to get it done does it??

Sh&tty... we ll they will be rode this winter without the new flash... no time to be trailering them to the closeist dealer to me "2hrs each way" that actually knows about the flash and can do it...... does nt hurt not to get it done does it??
As long as you have the flash before this one you should be fine. It also protects the starter. My # 1 real concern since could be season ending failure.

I'm about to buy a 2018 viper this weekend, and I assume the starting issues have been persistent on all years? This sled wouldn't have been flashed in the last month or so, so I assume I should plan for this update if I run into any idling or starting quirkiness?

I'm about to buy a 2018 viper this weekend, and I assume the starting issues have been persistent on all years? This sled wouldn't have been flashed in the last month or so, so I assume I should plan for this update if I run into any idling or starting quirkiness?
The dealers are supposed to flash it before pickup if you are buying from a dealer. If not just take it to a dealer and get it done. Make a appointment though. Nobody likes surprises.

moto quad expert in hammond 457 russell rd have the the new flash and is only 20 min from ottawa

Yes i had the flash before this one done to mine and the ol ladys... i ll take em in march to get done... in located in sharbot lake...so 1hr 30 min from ottawa

Back