• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper MTX Clutching

SR Viper MTX

Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper MTX, SX Venom Mountain, Phazer FX
I have a 2016 Viper MTX 162. I have the Schmidt Bros. “Comfort Clutch” setup on the Primary. The bottom end to mid range is tremendous! But top end seems like there should be a little more. I know it’s an MTX and it’s geared for low end but I’m getting 72 mph on the speedo. I have an 8BV31 helix I have not installed yet was going to put it in in the morning and give it a shot. Just wondering if anyone is running this setup or has any ideas or comments. I’m new on here but have been reading and learning some things here for awhile. Seems to be some pretty knowledgeable people on here , so let me know what you think.

72 is about where you should be with mtx, manufacturer's say over 55 you will be shedding lugs off the track, on trail that is.

Buddy flatlands a 153" MTX here in Minnesota and it's gear/rev limited to 77mph, clutching alone runs out at 72-73mph. I can literately smell his 2.6 Powerclaw track heating up if he doesn't have his scratchers down from the lugs repeatedly folding back and forth. I'm surprised his track has held up as good as it has with all the trail riding he does with it. XTX Gear set will get you about 90, but the track wouldn't like it.

I'm running exactly the same setup, 2016 mtx 162 3 inch track with a Schmidt brothers comfort clutch spring, 8BU10 stock weights with Chris's recommended rivets and stock Helix on the secondary. The weather here has been really cold or white out so I haven't had a chance to run down the Lake and see how it performs. On one short ride I was still hitting the Rev limiter right off of clutch engagement but would settle down right away and pull very hard. My current challenge is getting good throttle management between 2800 and 4000 RPM's. Engine speed is very erratic and surges making it hard to control track speed.

I'm running exactly the same setup, 2016 mtx 162 3 inch track with a Schmidt brothers comfort clutch spring, 8BU10 stock weights with Chris's recommended rivets and stock Helix on the secondary. The weather here has been really cold or white out so I haven't had a chance to run down the Lake and see how it performs. On one short ride I was still hitting the Rev limiter right off of clutch engagement but would settle down right away and pull very hard. My current challenge is getting good throttle management between 2800 and 4000 RPM's. Engine speed is very erratic and surges making it hard to control track speed.

Hitting the limiter 2 to 3 times on a Hole shot is pretty normal, the only thing that cured my XTX of that was a 46/40 helix which allow the secondary to shift out quicker at the start. Down side is it took some RPM out of midrange also and I had to take a decent about of weight out of the middle Rivet to compensate.

Thanks for all the input , I guess I’m right about where it should be running. I put the 43* helix in yesterday and set it a 3,3 and was not impressed. Wouldn’t pull over 50mph just fell flat I set it at 3,1 hit like 53 or so . I went back to factory helix setup . Pulls hard again .

Back