• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Like I said, Arctic Crap. Hopefully the Viper will soon have Yamaha code with Mitsubishi hardware like the Sidewinder!

Just called my dealer they said there is a new flash out to fix the speedo issue. Sled will be going in tomorrow but it might be a while before i can test it out in southern Ontario.

Just called my dealer they said there is a new flash out to fix the speedo issue. Sled will be going in tomorrow but it might be a while before i can test it out in southern Ontario.

Can you find out if this flash fixes the starting issue? i.e. always needing 2 attempts. Also, is this a warranty thing? Is there a Texhnical service bulletin number or something we can reference with our own dealers?

Don’t be concerned about the fix, thousands of people have had it installed and for those of us that got the re flash early and had to have the newer reflash like I did, the updated flash will correct the speedometer issue. Ride and enjoy.

I will get as much information as i can tomorrow. Mine also needs two starts and randomly quits on the trail, not wanting to start until it cools down ever since that last flash.

Last edited:

Had the new flash done last month and put 60 km on mine roughly 30 miles in Turkey point last weekend. It fixed the issue with the speedo. It left me thinking however. If time is constant and it wasn’t altered by the cold start flash my viper really has an extra 300-400 km than it shows from riding last year with a botched speedo. I had a feeling it was messed as I couldn’t get over 88-94 km/h on trail. Buddies that ride doos couldn’t touch me and they were gracing 120-140...

Touching on the fire up scenario hey there’s lots of fuel load and parts to get going 9-10 times it shouldn’t fire right away. Let the fuel system load up and pressurize. Try the key for five seconds or less if it doesn’t go it will go on the next crank. Big deal it’s never turn key and go. Gotta warm up any way circle check and adjust gear and have a good ride.

Merry Christmas and I think we’re all in for a very good season. Safe riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you find out if this flash fixes the starting issue? i.e. always needing 2 attempts. Also, is this a warranty thing? Is there a Texhnical service bulletin number or something we can reference with our own dealers?
It "May" fix the starting issues but some require two attempts. Big Deal. It prevents kickbacks and therefore I am recommending getting it done. MtCooler my riding buddy got it done yesterday and I did it at end of season last year. Mine has still started in 1 try everytime as has his so far. Niether of us let pump cycle. We get on sled and turn key till its running. Has always started within a 3 count. His is all stock. For Yamaha this is the latest Flash Bulletin:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XOvBJem2mebvoObQf3khLodhglqCrw_Q

It "May" fix the starting issues but some require two attempts. Big Deal. It prevents kickbacks and therefore I am recommending getting it done. MtCooler my riding buddy got it done yesterday and I did it at end of season last year. Mine has still started in 1 try everytime as has his so far. Niether of us let pump cycle. We get on sled and turn key till its running. Has always started within a 3 count. His is all stock. For Yamaha this is the latest Flash Bulletin:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XOvBJem2mebvoObQf3khLodhglqCrw_Q

We got to remember why we love this motor. It always takes a full cycle to start before a fire. I don’t know of very many sleds you can literally ride wide open all day...they are wicked for that one reason.

We got to remember why we love this motor. It always takes a full cycle to start before a fire. I don’t know of very many sleds you can literally ride wide open all day...they are wicked for that one reason.

This is true but Briggs makes a fuel injected motor that starts and runs perfectly in -30 or 90DegF with perfect idle and one turn of key. Its in some lawn tractors. Whats Yamaha/Cats excuse?

No I was rather surprised. We are headed to Saguenay QC in 10 Days and its supposed to be -20F so Ill do another video then to see how she does. Also I'm interested on the hot starts with this ECU

Came across a guy (group of 6 apex’s) in Rouyn-Noranda it was a steady -35 to -40 C he was the only one with a magnetic block heater that he grabbed from princess auto. His was the only one to fire. I stripped both beds and grabbed the hair dryer took an hr before I could leave the hotel. Very embarrassing My viper had like 450 km on it. Haven’t been in a situation like this since.

I had mine done Friday morning and was out riding Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It always did start well, and starts first or second try cold and first try hot.
I do notice the lean popping off idle is gone, I kind of liked it...sounded snotty and maybe a little louder idling.
It's definetly smoother off idle and I notice less engine breaking when coming to a stop now. Need to use the break more.
I don't really notice and extra performance mid range, seems the same to me.
Definetly doesn't feel like it wants to kick back at all while starting, so I'm glad I had the flash done.

What is the "speedometer error correction? is it reading high or low or ?? I havent done a gps check yet.
Is mpg better with the new flash?
My early 2015 build rtx sputters a bit at idle after coming to a hard stop. Does sound cool but probably wasting some fuel.
It does have a strong resistance when off throttle and occasionally does burn off some excess fuel when decelerating.
I never had a backfire at start or at any point that I would suspect starter damage.
Does the backfire on decel go away with the new flash? Sounds like it from the attached post.
It always starts right up in temps down to 5 from my experience.
I'm thinking of doing the flash to correct speedo if off, possibly save some fuel/mpg.
Or should I leave it?

What is the "speedometer error correction? is it reading high or low or ?? I havent done a gps check yet.
Is mpg better with the new flash?
My early 2015 build rtx sputters a bit at idle after coming to a hard stop. Does sound cool but probably wasting some fuel.
It does have a strong resistance when off throttle and occasionally does burn off some excess fuel when decelerating.
I never had a backfire at start or at any point that I would suspect starter damage.
Does the backfire on decel go away with the new flash? Sounds like it from the attached post.
It always starts right up in temps down to 5 from my experience.
I'm thinking of doing the flash to correct speedo if off, possibly save some fuel/mpg.
Or should I leave it?

It comes down to a couple choices for me. As you know I chose to get flash from dealer.
Chance blown starter gear and keep same flash
Get Evo flash which has never blown a starter as far as I know
Get the latest flash have a chance with warranty from Yamaha should a starter blow

Rest really does not matter. I believe the latest does increase performance in a stock sled but its not enough to be a factor in this decision.

Back