• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Does the new flash raise the limiter any?
My sled has a rev limit of abour 9,200 RPM with the new flash. However I am hitting the limiter any time I hold the throttle wide open. I have the Ulmer helix, 8DN belt and secondary machining so I will be adjusting clutching in the next week to correct.

Huh I heard 9300 it was bumped too. What's s old flash rpm?

I have limited set at 9800 rpm and runs excellent. About 1.5 - 2hp per 100 rpm increase over stock. About 9 - 12hp increase from 9200 rpm limit. Clutching a little easier too. I was banging the rev limiter when I first installed turbo and at 8 psi I don't hit it. At 15-16 psi I still hit rev limiter at launch but only once or twice before shifting catches up. I could add weight but pretty pleased with how I'm setup now.

Hello

I have a 2014 viper xtx se. I had three teeth come off the starter idler or starter clutch gear. I had a starter problem as well. One of the three pieces went through the stator at rotor or flywheel. so that means there are two more pieces floating around in the engine, most likely sitting in the oil pan. I have all the up to date ecm flashes. The parts needed for this repair are rotor, stator, starter, starter clutch gear and a couple of gaskets. the oil pan will need to come off and be checked for broken gear parts.

My question is: A: has anyone been through this when the sled has been or not been under warranty ?
B: has anyone heard of an extension of warranty for this known problem?

I am talking with Yamaha now trying to get warranty for this known problem, Yamaha is fighting it.
My dealer has done 6 of this type of repair last year. my warranty ran out Nov 30 2016.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

3D6E59C6-D10A-4EEB-9B9E-C666F57C0C4F.jpeg
Hello

I have a 2014 viper xtx se. I had three teeth come off the starter idler or starter clutch gear. I had a starter problem as well. One of the three pieces went through the stator at rotor or flywheel. so that means there are two more pieces floating around in the engine, most likely sitting in the oil pan. I have all the up to date ecm flashes. The parts needed for this repair are rotor, stator, starter, starter clutch gear and a couple of gaskets. the oil pan will need to come off and be checked for broken gear parts.

My question is: A: has anyone been through this when the sled has been or not been under warranty ?
B: has anyone heard of an extension of warranty for this known problem?

I am talking with Yamaha now trying to get warranty for this known problem, Yamaha is fighting it.
My dealer has done 6 of this type of repair last year. my warranty ran out Nov 30 2016.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

My wife’s 2014 Viper LTX had a similar issue and the correction required pulling the engine which in turn requires disassembly of about 75-80 % of the sled. Her sled was under warranty and the repair was done prior to the last ECU reflash/ update. The picture shows her sled during the repair process.

View attachment 136355

My wife’s 2014 Viper LTX had a similar issue and the correction required pulling the engine which in turn requires disassembly of about 75-80 % of the sled. Her sled was under warranty and the repair was done prior to the last ECU reflash/ update. The picture shows her sled during the repair process.

Liking those trick Elkas on the wife’s Sled [emoji91][emoji578]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

She loves them too. Stage 5’s setup for her, they raised her trail speed by 10 MPH The first year they were installed and about 5-10 MPH so far this year. Also reduced the frequency of changing ski carbides. I was changing them every year on her sled which I then used for another season or two. She has had the same carbides now since I installed the Elka’s.

my dealer in newhampshire hasn,t needed to do many reflashes at all after model year 2014 early release 2015 he also said the ecu is yamaha not cat ??

I just noticed this tidbit on the Arcticinsider website...

“New ECM calibration on 6, 7 and 8000 Series engines delivers what Cat is calling “enhanced performance” (and what I’ll call “cleaner feeling”).”

Of course I’m not sure if the 2019 will even have the same ECU, but if it does maybe we’ll get an update for the older models. I’m on the last flash that came out around January ‘17 and it’s been ok for starting. It always takes 2 tries cold and may or may not warm just depending on it’s mood. It could be better.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning I had the backfire many have reported. Had the stock can back on. BOOM! Glad I had helmet on because it was so loud it was felt in my ears. So TD Max the answer of whether they cut fuel with new flash after extended crank. No!

Yesterday morning I had the backfire many have reported. Had the stock can back on. BOOM! Glad I had helmet on because it was so loud it was felt in my ears. So TD Max the answer of whether they cut fuel with new flash after extended crank. No!

I'm pretty sure you jinxed yourself a few times on this one!

We should all get together and light off our vipers and CROWN the loudest!!!
Mine is at dealer as I type getting the repairs done again under the Yes warranty.

Last Thursday while attempting to start my 2015 XTX I heard a loud bang like a gun shot. This caused all the neighbors to look and see if there was gunfire. Left it and used my back up sled for the remainder of the trip.

When I did attempted to fire the sled back up on Friday to move it in the trailer (much warmer out) it took a couple of long cranks to finally get it going. Pulling the body panel I noticed the rivets were stressed on the muffler and exhaust was leaking out along the whole seam.

The sled has been dropped off at the new dealer near me to assess the damage.

Prior to this season I have never had an issue starting this sled but was told in the fall of 2017 I had to get the latest flash or I would lose my warranty. I sure hope Yamaha does not fight this as it is abundantly clear the latest flash has caused this issue. I also do not feel I should have to pay a deductible on an issue created by the manufacturer from a modification they made after the initial delivery....

Dumb question but does this backfire happen with just the stock exhaust? Possibility that the stock exhaust has too much back pressure causing the issue? I know some stocks exhausts are gutted but they are still restricted more than the after market cans.
Just a thought ?

Back