• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr viper/procross chassis

nate007 said:
Bottom line to all this bickering is that no matter who makes it, someone will break it! I sure hope you guys dont expect anyone to beloeve that you're just cruising up and down the lazy trail and stuff just breaks and falls apart, no matter what brand??
Fact is, we beat the snot out of these things, and you guys that are referring to all the issues of any sled are most likely guilty of more than a few days of hard riding, aren't you?
Sure, every maunufaturer has it's strong and weak points, but if you think you're going to have "0" issues with any sled with the way most of us ride, you're fooling yourselves.... I beat the h@!! out of my sleds, and sure, stuff breaks once in a while, but I also am vigilant about maintaining them to hopefully stay ahead of some of these issues.
In my opinion, as long as this Viper has some sort of history (and it does from both manufacturers) and there is info regarding what to watch for, I have no issues throwing a few upgrades at it if the overall sled will perform like I want it to?
I do know Yamaha has addressed certain issues with the sled and made changes for it's brand that the Cat likely wont get, and I can only believe that it will be a better sled than expected.

Completely Agree !! Thanks ;)!

I have a Cat '12 turbo with no issues at all.
3376 miles on the original belt and it looks good.
Hoping to get another 300 this weekend.
That being said, I think the Viper will be an awesome sled. We are trading the wifes LXR for one. I'm confident it will be a fun and reliable sled!
Can't wait to ride it :)

Right on.....like I have said before I have only seen belt and chain case problems and lots of them.....but Yamaha guys don't have to worry about that that stuff is Yamaha ...but again not ALL cats are having problems just a few.....

According to my dealer and my research; I would say about half of the Cat owners had/have issues with the belts blowing on the 800 and 1100 turbo sleds. Thankfully the Viper will NOT have the AC clutch!

I was told by a buddy that "as long as you don't hold it wide open across a lake the belt won't blow" 1100Turbo and I'm not going to hold it open? He only blew one belt and his reverse just went at 1300 miles but he trades every year and he's getting another one. He did say it handled awesome.

2500 miles on mine now only mechanical failure chain.

So far only belt issues until at 2500 it spit out a chain,but the chassie has been flawless,boggies still good,slides still good,tri hub all good,drivers all good,shocks all good,no cracks anywhere,but man it sure likes belts lol..

Well it's got to eat something....I like hamburgers so .....lol.....

That's sucks being they cost so much...but I'm glad to hear nothing else has gone wrong

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the Cats, since the last one I owned was a '96 ZRT600... When I first learned of this sled, I called a buddy of mine who is a fairly large Cat dealer and asked about it. He did tell me a little bit about the chaincase, but otherwise said it's a pretty solid chassis. I also called a couple other friends that have the ProCross, and not one of them had anything bad to say about it.
That being said, I'm really looking forwars to the Viper, and I think it's going to be a pretty sweet machine!

nate007 said:
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the Cats, since the last one I owned was a '96 ZRT600... When I first learned of this sled, I called a buddy of mine who is a fairly large Cat dealer and asked about it. He did tell me a little bit about the chaincase, but otherwise said it's a pretty solid chassis. I also called a couple other friends that have the ProCross, and not one of them had anything bad to say about it.
That being said, I'm really looking forwars to the Viper, and I think it's going to be a pretty sweet machine!
I had a ZRT also. Best laker I ever rode. FAST!!! That said, I wouldn't trade trail manners "Viper" for speed anyday.

Mine was a turd. "go on ahead, and I'll catch up" was what everybody heard outta me...
Then I bought my Apex, found this site one day, and the rest was history...! Lol

Traded my ZRT for an '04 RX-Warrior, which was a great sled other than it wouldn't back shift at all. Had to completely stop to get it to shift out. Went back to cat for a few years now trying yamaha again, we'll I guess trying cat too right?

jdinny said:
I have a Cat '12 turbo with no issues at all.
2775 miles on the original belt and it looks good.
Hoping to get another 300 this weekend.
That being said, I think the Viper will be an awesome sled. We are trading the wifes LXR for one. I'm confident it will be a fun and reliable sled!
Can't wait to ride it :)

You should know better than to print that statement on this site! This is the AC/Viper haters forum :jump:

I just came back from my dealer today. End of season sale is the best time to buy Klim! Over the years I have found these guys to be very honest about their info. They have never been fond of the FX Nytro chassis, but they love the motor and can get 150hp easy. They are very excited about the SR Viper chassis and are sure they can make it a rocket. They're sure It won't be underpowered.

No snow here so I did not get ride it. I am sure I would need knee pads on the body. It sounds good. Not like a lawn mower.

"The market has been demanding a lightweight chassis and the Viper delivers with the best 4S motor, clutches, and great handling."

The machine they had on the floor was a blue XTX. It was beat from the test riding with 850 miles but it was in better shape than I would have guessed. I was told the chain case internals will be Yamaha. To their knowledge, Yamaha has been involved with the SR-V chassis for 3 years. Engine placement was all about getting a belt length they wanted.

They have more than the 16 limit ordered ( limit denied) and none are XTX.

IF I was sure I could pay all cash in the fall I would have placed a deposit largely on my faith in my dealer.

actionjack said:
I just came back from my dealer today. End of season sale is the best time to buy Klim! Over the years I have found these guys to be very honest about their info. They have never been fond of the FX Nytro chassis, but they love the motor and can get 150hp easy. They are very excited about the SR Viper chassis and are sure they can make it a rocket. They're sure It won't be underpowered.

No snow here so I did not get ride it. I am sure I would need knee pads on the body. It sounds good. Not like a lawn mower.

"The market has been demanding a lightweight chassis and the Viper delivers with the best 4S motor, clutches, and great handling."

The machine they had on the floor was a blue XTX. It was beat from the test riding with 850 miles but it was in better shape than I would have guessed. I was told the chain case internals will be Yamaha. To their knowledge, Yamaha has been involved with the SR-V chassis for 3 years. Engine placement was all about getting a belt length they wanted.

They have more than the 16 limit ordered ( limit denied) and none are XTX.

IF I was sure I could pay all cash in the fall I would have placed a deposit largely on my faith in my dealer.

whoa watch what you say all the negative posters on here are going to start bashing lol
Thanks for the post though ;)!

Back