• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper XTX Will Not Start

bigal1951

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper XTX
2004 RX Warrior
My 2014 SR Viper XTX will not start in cold weather. Just cranks, sputters once in a while and backfires through the muffler. I bought it from the original owner and has only about 6,000 kms. Any ideas.

Last edited:

When's the last time you replaced the spark plugs?

I'd start there. I change mine every year.

Make sure that you fill the tank each night to keep the condensation out of it. I put premium gas line antifreeze in each night too.

Frozen fuel pump relay, or battery voltage drops when really cold, will crank but not start, try giving it a jump while starting

These are really sensitive to battery voltage. If its super cold out, I throw a tender on for an hour before I try and start it. Also, when you are starting it, keep the key turned on even if it fires. They like to fire right away then when you let off the key, it loads it with fuel the next time and makes it hard to start.

Well; I got the plugs out today to replace them with new ones. Man, we’re they ever BLACK. No wonder the thing wouldn’t start. Going to put all the plastics back tomorrow and give her a try. Hope this solves my problem?

Well; I got the plugs out today to replace them with new ones. Man, we’re they ever BLACK. No wonder the thing wouldn’t start. Going to put all the plastics back tomorrow and give her a try. Hope this solves my problem?
I know this thread is a year old but did changing your plugs help at all. tks

New to the group and have a few questions that have been answered partially here and there but wanted to get them all in one post relating to my 2014 SrViper xtx issues. I’ll be totally honest when I say I’m a newbie when it comes to four strokes. I’ve always owned two strokes in the past.
I recently bought my 14’ Viper from an older gentlemen that said he hasn’t ridden the sled much since he bought it. There was half a tank when I bought it so I saw a lot of suggestions on the forum to put seafoam additive hoping this may take care of a potential bad/old gas problem. I had only driven it around my yard and down a trail behind my house and it seemed to run ok. The weather has turned colder and today it didn’t want to start. Pump came on but just kept cranking. Took about 7 or 8 tries before starting. Then after riding a few hundred yards it sounded like it was running on one lung. Very boggy and that bogging down sound. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks

welcome.

have you called a dealer with the serial # to confirm it has the latest flash in the ecu?

14 did have issues with the vipers starting wonky. throwing a new set of plugs in it will not hurt as old gas will foul them some times.

I haven’t called a dealer yet. The guy I bought it from said he had recalls fixed but I’ll bet you’re right and it has t been updated. Thanks!

Back