• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stage 6 build

DMCTurbo

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
I will be installing my TD Stage 6/wastegate upgrade/header in the next couple weeks and figured I would take photos along the way and document as much of it as I can. I will be doing the install myself with some knowledgeable friends not far away if I need some assistance.

So far I've stripped the sled down to what you see in the pic. I'm waiting for a HD headgasket to arrive from TD before I open up the engine.

Stay tuned!
20210907_174025.jpg

I will be installing my TD Stage 6/wastegate upgrade/header in the next couple weeks and figured I would take photos along the way and document as much of it as I can. I will be doing the install myself with some knowledgeable friends not far away if I need some assistance.

So far I've stripped the sled down to what you see in the pic. I'm waiting for a HD headgasket to arrive from TD before I open up the engine.

Stay tuned!
View attachment 162519
What is "HD" head gasket and why do you need to remove head? I've never heard of any head gasket other than stock Yamaha one. Are you installing head studs? You're in for a real treat removing head. The location of cam chain tensioner requires engine to lifted up in rear in order to access. Due care and attention required to ensure proper cam timing upon re-assembly. Also, if installing head studs, there should be one that is a little shorter than all the others. That one goes in upper far left corner hole as viewed from behind engine. Any of the others will be too long and hit the gear that drives the water pump off the balancer shaft. Have fun!

What is "HD" head gasket and why do you need to remove head? I've never heard of any head gasket other than stock Yamaha one. Are you installing head studs? You're in for a real treat removing head. The location of cam chain tensioner requires engine to lifted up in rear in order to access. Due care and attention required to ensure proper cam timing upon re-assembly. Also, if installing head studs, there should be one that is a little shorter than all the others. That one goes in upper far left corner hole as viewed from behind engine. Any of the others will be too long and hit the gear that drives the water pump off the balancer shaft. Have fun!
Yes I'm aware of everything you mentioned. Installing promod head gasket from TD, head studs, cams, high rpm valve springs and anti shim spitting buckets.

Sounds great. All the right stuff for no problems. Nice build!

Cometic head gaskets are used by some. You install the one over the water pump at a specified height.

Wastegate installed and crack pressure set at 9 psi as per TD. The compressor outlet restrictor drilled out to the ID of the nipple and the small fitting blocked off.
20210908_203849_copy_756x1008.jpg
20210908_203901_copy_756x1008.jpg

Everything now removed and out of the way for the head removal.
20210908_223703_copy_756x1008.jpg

Is this staying a trail sled or running pro mod?

same build as i just did exactly from Turbo Dynamics, we might be doing the turbo rotor next, Ben is doing some testing now. make sure you order all new hose clamps, most of them tend to strip and for cheap insurance you might as well have new ones ready. the real bitch is when refilling antifreeze and making sure all air is out of system, i bought the vacuum style rfill kit off amazon and it sucks the antifreeze through entire system getting rid of any air.

Push thermostat open with a screw driver makes life easy , then bleed on the coolant tank that feeds the turbo.

Back