• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Star Suspension kit for XTX skid

Did this to my uncles sled and had to pull the front limiter strap cu the skis would be off the ground when he hit the gas. Probly could pull it one more too

Yes, pulled limiter straps up one when I installed the kit. Added a lot of preload to the stiffer center shocker that Star rebuilt and loosened the preload on the front ski shocks as per Stars suggestions to get it lower. Then I changed it up from there after taking it out for two days. I guess I could play with compression and rebound. I'll have to see where my settings are right now. FYI, I'm still running stock skis with 6" deuces. It pushes a bit in the corners. I don't have confidence with the setup to take a corner fast without feeling like I'll be tossed like riding a mechanical bull!

pay2play said:
Any more input from others that installed this kit? I purchased the stiffer center spring along with his rebuild, revalve and shortened shaft for the center shock. I was hoping for better cornering. Was very tippy and not as good as last year. I am unsure about preload. So, to get better cornering, I added spring preload to the front shocks and removed it from the center shock from suggestion of the guys I was riding with. Even after that, it seemed better but not as good as I was hoping. It was still tippy at times. I tried to call Robert but they didn't pick up. I'll try after the holidays. Anyone worked with Schmidt Bros after the Star upgrade? They really aren't far from me and may be an option to get it dialed in.

Here is a link to another thread with more set-ups. I have mine posted there and have just tweaked it from those settings.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Thanks for the added info, I have 2.5 inches between locknuts on front shocks. I will add more and see how it helps. I think I will tighten up the track a bit too. I have no issue with how the rear skid is working, it is awesome, just not confident in steering setup yet. I'm eager to find something that works and enjoy the ride.

I have the center shock (with the oem spring) cranked right up, and the front springs are just about loose. When you raise the sled they do not flop around they are snug to the spring but thats it. Limiter strap is currently up 1 hole. Rear springs on Soft. I am 220lbs with gear, and I dont find it too tippy. Was riding a friends 600 vmax today and it handled about the same.

However, my steering is quite heavy since I added the tuner skis with the carbides listed in my sig. I am going to drop the limiter all the way to take some weight off, hope it helps!

That sounds like my setup before I made some adjustments except for the stiffer spring. I will play around with it. I'm sure it is right around the corner, lol ;)!

Any more updates? Who's getting some miles under their belt with this upgade? Still havent pulled the trigger on this yet, but then again I havent ridden more then 15-20 miles yet this year :(( This is killing me!!

I have another 250 miles on my setup and think my ski lift issue is more of a clutch setup than the suspension issue. I've read more on the ski lift problem and think that I'm hitting the flipper too early in the corners. In softer, sugar snow conditions, it is great and I can take corners at pretty good clips without an issue. I actually prefer to stand up around corners in this this type of snow. When it is setup and hardpacked, how I hit the flipper makes a huge difference. I think I'm going to start with a set of Pilot 6.9s with a 6" shaper on one ski and a 6" dually on the other. Friends are running this setup and find that it helps. I never thought of that, but, I'll give it a try. It may be a cost saving idea on their part, but, hey, if it doesn't work I can swap it out. I already have the dually's on the Rev. Then after another shake down trip, I'll see if I need to add a clutch kit. I will eventually do this, but, you know about budgets, etc. I will add the Schmidt Bros comfort clutch kit. It is $150 and should give engagement at 2800 rpm instead of the higher stock setup around 4000, or so it seems to me. So, I'm hoping that more ability to feather it in the corner, not as much ski lift will occur. Whew, long post! Sorry...

haven't updated here for a year. did slides and converted to all Polaris wheels and mounts. also Polaris fox shock, inch over length with extended pull rods. original shock went bye bye when the limiter straps broke and folded the rear shock swivel. the way I have it set up now, the front shock is able to extend 1 1/2 inches more than stock which was just the ticket to reduce ski pressure. So, 2 major failures with the star kit. The fact that they sell them without mandatory front shock shortening, leads to 100% chance of limiters breaking and folding rear shock. second, the rear scissor lower shaft is bolted via very long bolt through the stupid oem hollow wheel mounts. Just happened to be doing Polaris mounts and found the long bolts star supplies bent and ready to fail. I used short bolts without the mount and used Polaris mounts slightly ahead of it. also put Polaris mounts inside rail ahead of that. slides should last forever now.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 167
sgilbert said:
haven't updated here for a year. did slides and converted to all Polaris wheels and mounts. also Polaris fox shock, inch over length with extended pull rods. original shock went bye bye when the limiter straps broke and folded the rear shock swivel. the way I have it set up now, the front shock is able to extend 1 1/2 inches more than stock which was just the ticket to reduce ski pressure. So, 2 major failures with the star kit. The fact that they sell them without mandatory front shock shortening, leads to 100% chance of limiters breaking and folding rear shock. second, the rear scissor lower shaft is bolted via very long bolt through the stupid oem hollow wheel mounts. Just happened to be doing Polaris mounts and found the long bolts star supplies bent and ready to fail. I used short bolts without the mount and used Polaris mounts slightly ahead of it. also put Polaris mounts inside rail ahead of that. slides should last forever now.

The star kit doesn't say anything about fixing the broken limiter strap issue. Its a totally separate problem. The star kit just changes the progresive-ness of the sled and transfer. He just offers the shorter shock spacer as an extra if your getting everything re-valved (since the shock needs to be dis-assembled.)

Your now the second one to post about the bent broken bolt though, so I'm going to keep an eye on mine...

I put another 475 miles on last weekend. Finally hit trails on Saturday worn down with holes and stutter bumps, the first real test for the kit this year. The Star kit worked well. I had them build my center shock and added their recommended Yamaha spring, so, I'm pretty happy with my kit overall. I'll watch the bolt too. I added the 6.9s and love how it is handling now, skis made a huge difference in my sled. I've got this figured out now and love my Nytro. I had doubts at times if I made a good decision buying the Nytro, but I'm glad I did now.

Beenba said:
sgilbert said:

The star kit doesn't say anything about fixing the broken limiter strap issue. Its a totally separate problem. The star kit just changes the progresive-ness of the sled and transfer. He just offers the shorter shock spacer as an extra if your getting everything re-valved (since the shock needs to be dis-assembled.)

Your now the second one to post about the bent broken bolt though, so I'm going to keep an eye on mine...

Just to update this, I checked both my bolts today and they are dead straight after 5000km. Must be how hard people ride or hitting something. I don't think there's anything to really worry about here.

I am a mechanic and can tell you with certainty that a long bolt going through a hollow mount is a problem. exact same problem as the drive shaft bolt that breaks on half the machines. it would stand a chance if it were a solid mount, but I figured just move the mount. If you want to take it easy on your machine so it don't happen, that's great, but I am going to beat mine like a mule

I totally agree its a bad design. When I first took those mounts off when I got the sled I was shocked they were hollow.

I was just ruling out that it was an issue with the star kit/bolt. The reason I checked my bolts was the possibility of the Star kit using a weaker or shorter bolt.

IMO Yamaha dropped the ball bigtime on the XTX skid..limiter strap issues, transfer issue, idle wheel issues...y'all get the point.

idk if this has died off or what but i hvae been considering this upgrade. however maybe just a shock upgrade and or revalve might be a better place to start....

Back