• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

start problems in cold not relays

At first it would turn over quick but it wouldnt last too long then it would slow down. I thought it was enough but the battery lost its voltage.

I have a 2014 viper LTX and had many different issues related to cold starting but have found some solutions.
1) Relays: there is an ECM relay and a fuel pump relay that can become frozen. I believe barn of parts sells no freeze relays (same part# for both). If you turn the key and your gauges don't light up its the ECM relay. If you turn the key, the dash lights up, but you can't hear the fuel pump cycle, then its the fuel pump relay. Its a pain in the #*$&@ to get them out, but you can remove them and warm them up in your truck/house.
2) Battery: It does take a fair bit of amps to turn over this sled on a cold morning but 0F shouldn't be a major problem. You should carry one of those portable booster packs with you. Its fairly easy to pop off the seat to boost the battery. A healthy fully charged battery at rest should be ~12.6V.
3) Starter: the Yamacat starter can have a partial fail (the field magnets break off the housing). The starter will still work but it takes a lot of amps to turn it. Hence a slow turn even when boosted. You can test the amp draw when cranking with a multimeter/ amp clamp. Should draw ~80-100amps

When I got my sled it was hard starting so I bought a new battery. It was still hard starting so I bought a booster pack. Eventually the Booster pack wouldn't start it either. That's when I diagnosed the starter and replaced it. Now I have a spare $140 battery :)

I have a 2014 viper LTX and had many different issues related to cold starting but have found some solutions.
1) Relays: there is an ECM relay and a fuel pump relay that can become frozen. I believe barn of parts sells no freeze relays (same part# for both). If you turn the key and your gauges don't light up its the ECM relay. If you turn the key, the dash lights up, but you can't hear the fuel pump cycle, then its the fuel pump relay. Its a pain in the #*$&@ to get them out, but you can remove them and warm them up in your truck/house.
2) Battery: It does take a fair bit of amps to turn over this sled on a cold morning but 0F shouldn't be a major problem. You should carry one of those portable booster packs with you. Its fairly easy to pop off the seat to boost the battery. A healthy fully charged battery at rest should be ~12.6V.
3) Starter: the Yamacat starter can have a partial fail (the field magnets break off the housing). The starter will still work but it takes a lot of amps to turn it. Hence a slow turn even when boosted. You can test the amp draw when cranking with a multimeter/ amp clamp. Should draw ~80-100amps

When I got my sled it was hard starting so I bought a new battery. It was still hard starting so I bought a booster pack. Eventually the Booster pack wouldn't start it either. That's when I diagnosed the starter and replaced it. Now I have a spare $140 battery :)
I've tried two different batteries brand new. have sealed relays. I carry a booster pack. which it being a snowmobile you think it would start in the cold. new gas. what starter did you go with? it may be my next move if I keep it

I've tried two different batteries brand new. have sealed relays. I carry a booster pack. which it being a snowmobile you think it would start in the cold. new gas. what starter did you go with? it may be my next move if I keep it
Good call on the booster pack. Unfortunate but necessary once in a while when owning a 4 stroke in the deep cold. I purchased my starter from a local supplier (Royal Distributing # 11-190743). I believe it was around $100. Before you purchase the starter, I would check the amp draw when you turn it over.

Good call on the booster pack. Unfortunate but necessary once in a while when owning a 4 stroke in the deep cold. I purchased my starter from a local supplier (Royal Distributing # 11-190743). I believe it was around $100. Before you purchase the starter, I would check the amp draw when you turn it over.
wats the easiest way to do this? suppose there is some right ups on it. tested my battery draw last night it was good

wats the easiest way to do this? suppose there is some right ups on it. tested my battery draw last night it was good
There might be, but just in case I did a quick test. I popped of the seat and put the amp clamp around the main wire headed to the solenoid. Spikes for a moment then sits around 120-130 amps while cranking. This is at ~20F. Let me know what you get.

Attachments

• starter.png
    starter.png
    688.6 KB · Views: 95
Drop the starter out and check it. If it's rolling slow with a good battery then the starter has either worn out brushes or broken/slipped magnets. I normally purchase starters from DB Electrical or Ricks Motorsport Electrics. https://ty4stroke.com/threads/hot-starting-troubles.164302/#post-1582226

Back