• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter class actiomn lawsuit

Whats wrong with the starter? The mapping causing backfire on startup was breaking them. Might as well add muffler to the settlement too. A friend blew new hole in his when this happened.

This was certainly handled very poorly. A simple kickback clutch would have prevented many furious customers/owners.

That would of been a baid aid on the problem. No kick back ever on Vectors and Nytros.
True, but it would have prevented customers from leaving Yamaha/Cat.
Many Yamaha motorcycles and ATV's have the kickback clutch standard equipment.

Didn't know that.

I had to change both starters on mine. 25,000km on the 09 Apex and 20,000km on the 2010 Vector. I though that was descent. Maybe I'm not picky enough.

Got a used one out of a Sidewinder SRX for the Vector. Seems they're still using the same one as this lawsuit without any problems. o_O

This "issue" is a classic example of people at the top making poor decisions & still cashing their bloated paycheck.
Yamaha had the mapping on this motor dialed in.
They let Cat do the mapping when they put the 1049 in their chassis.

I'm not knocking Cat's ability, but they had no TIME on the motor.
Yamaha had 5 plus years.

Just lack of thinking on this partnerships' agreement that really sent people running.

Steve I am definitely knocking Cats ability to map these fuel injection engines. It's not just the Viper but there 800 and now the Blast there 600's however seem to run pretty decent. One of the guys that rides with us has a 800(not the Suzuki engine)and some times when you came to a stop from a hard run it would back fire and blow sparks out the exhaust then it would take awhile for it to clean out and run decent again. I know he changed out the reeds but it didn't seem to help. As far as the Viper goes I'm sure it was a cost issue to use the Yamaha ignition and tune(but I also herd through the grapevine that Yamaha did not want Cat to use there ignition either so who knows)so ya I agree with not enough time with it but you would think that it would be fairly easy to tune these things although maybe emissions are coming into play. Seems like they figured out the fix for the Blast was to install heavier clutch weights but I still think the tune is a little lean. I herd that Yamaha cleaned up the tune on the mountain max a little and from what I've heard it is a noticeable difference but I don't believe that Cat puts a different ECU in one sled and not the other. Who knows all I know is in this day and age it should be very easy to make a decent tune for a snowmachine but it seems like Cat is struggling. Polaris had some problems a couple of years ago also with some ECU recalls who knows maybe it a lot harder than I think it is.

I was trying to be nice & not bash the manufacturer of the sleds being made on this site.
But since you said..............i agree

It was just last Wednesday when we were at the Abitibi canyon, which is 100 miles north of Cochrane. Just after we fueled up a 2002 Viper 700 rode in towing a 2016 Viper. We walked over to see what was wrong. Starter.
Sad that there are still a few of these that remain headaches.

The 1049 was an incredible power plant and Yamaha let cat muck it all up. To this day cat dropped the 7000 and yamaha has only one viper model. This should be an incredibly sought after sled, but they burned so many people with it.

I had 2 friends with vipers and 1 with a 7000. They had tons of issues, it was non stop and it can only be summarized as teething on behalf of cat and yamaha - and the consumer payed the price.

MS

We see folks blaming Cat for engineering fails all the time. I start to wonder if that is a bit of a copout. After all, Yamaha puts their name on the product.

Remember back when Yamaha built super reliable sleds? Yeah.

It's not a perfect world people!!!the assumptions people come up with on this site are insane!!!:ban:

Apparently this is for Canadian residents only, no USA addresses are accepted in the "j join lawsuit" section.

Back