• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter shot

It's weird cause both my batteries are fully charged. Even with the Viper off a fresh trickle charge in 60* in the garage or -25 out in Cooke, it cranks the same 1 full sec to start.

It's weird cause both my batteries are fully charged. Even with the Viper off a fresh trickle charge in 60* in the garage or -25 out in Cooke, it cranks the same 1 full sec to start.

1 second to start cold seems good in my book.

I agree it's good by the standards we're all reading about, but it still isn't a Nytro start. Considering it's the same motor and starter. I'm not complaining, just posting my findings.

Seriously??? I dont see how this is an Arctic cat problem. These engines are delivered to Thief River Falls from Yamaha with the starter already on the engine. All Arctic cat is doing is installing them in their chassis.

You're right it's not AC problem, it's Yamahas fault for putting that engine in that chassis and not building there own. You know the saying " karmas a bitch" great job Y.

There is definitely something going on here. This same design has been used in the RX1,Apex,Vector, and Nytro. The aforementioned never had problems like the Viper is having. The AC ECU is a mistake IMO......as far as battery location.....also a possibility.

Are you guys serious? You think Yamaha makes their own ecu? Not a chance. Its all outsourced. Its all about crossing the same tees and dotting the same eyes, but who can do it cheaper? Mikuni or keihin makes it for yamaha and continental makes it for arctic cat. All written with the same atari. (While playing pong, of course)

Last edited:
Yes, we are serious. No big secret that the Yamaha ecu is outsourced. My point is that the Nytro one has done the job well managing engine operation since MY 08. If anyone is looking for great pricing on Vipers, there are a bunch (7+) in Oregon that are collecting dust on the showroom floors.

Yes, we are serious. No big secret that the Yamaha ecu is outsourced. My point is that the Nytro one has done the job well managing engine operation since MY 08. If anyone is looking for great pricing on Vipers, there are a bunch (7+) in Oregon that are collecting dust on the showroom floors.

We have dealers in Colorado that still have new carryover boosted Nytro's and you know how long ago that promotion ended. So if carryovers means anything the Viper is still far ahead of the Nytro. :D

I would guess you never had any dealings with the 2007 Phazer or you would know Yamaha failed with that ECU and updated them, although they did just replace the ECU instead of a flash which I think is much better.

I also suspect that we are going to find that the starter relay is hanging up and keeping the starter engaged on some of these, at least that happened to some of the Nytro's back when they were selling more than a few of them. Some have mentioned relay freezing like the Nytro did and not starting so it makes sense to me it might also start and freeze on. And with the starter where it is I am not sure you would hear it locked in while running. Anyway just an opinion.

We have dealers in Colorado that still have new carryover boosted Nytro's and you know how long ago that promotion ended. So if carryovers means anything the Viper is still far ahead of the Nytro. :D

I would guess you never had any dealings with the 2007 Phazer or you would know Yamaha failed with that ECU and updated them, although they did just replace the ECU instead of a flash which I think is much better.

I also suspect that we are going to find that the starter relay is hanging up and keeping the starter engaged on some of these, at least that happened to some of the Nytro's back when they were selling more than a few of them. Some have mentioned relay freezing like the Nytro did and not starting so it makes sense to me it might also start and freeze on. And with the starter where it is I am not sure you would hear it locked in while running. Anyway just an opinion.

Wasn't comparing Vipers to Nytros in terms of what is sitting on the floor. There are still a few Nytros here as well. Just thought it might help out someone looking for a Viper. I know of 1 red XTX and 6 MTXs. You may be right about the starter relay. There is definitely a reason that teeth are breaking on the starter gears.

Mine loved to back fire on cold starts and when I went to start it after the little lake issue it would just click. I took the seat off and the wire was loose and burnt, it melted the plastic cover on it.

had my starter break at 18 miles due to slow crank and kickback, have light weight battery and with 100 more cranking amps and will still crank slow when cold. i added a second ground from battery to frame brace and now cranks faster. imo the stock cables are too small. nytro battery placement and short cables always cranks fast, even with the original 09 battery.

Back