• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter slipping on 05 RX1 and a possible cheap fix.

Sled Dog

Lifetime Member
The starter on my 05 RX1 kicks in for a few seconds and then slips quits cranking the engine and whines right out but only on a cold start if the engine is warm it starts right away first time every time. The battery is brand new and fully charged. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had this problem on my 05 Vector in Jan. 05. It is the started clutch. These sled engines use an over running clutch as a starter drive. When cold they will slip if they are worn. It only gets worse as you use it. As mine was brand new the dealer changed it under warrentee after the season was over. As you said everything works right when warm but as the season goes on even warm it will start to slip more & more. Not sure about your RX but on the Vector you have to pull motor to get to the starter. I have not had any issues with it since then.

I hope I dont have to pull the motor to just change that. I have done a couple of searches with no luck on how to change the starter clutch does anyone know if one exists and if so could you post a link.

yup, sounds like the starter clutch is slipping to me as well. usually have to pull the starter to replace on most of the things i have done.

I already have done the donuts one was complety gone only a very little mesh of wire left. That job was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now the starter clutch can anyone tell me what has to be done to change the starter clutch? Do i have to take off the oil tank and magneto cover to get at it?

Before you pull anything apart look in the part fiche for your sled under starter and see what is involved. Take your time, don't panic, i'm sure someone on here will have some good information for you.

From what I have been able to find on the starter clutch is that you do NOT pull the starter motor. The starter clutch is accessed through the magneto cover on the end of the engine behind the oil tank. You have to remove the oil tank, then the magneto cover, the magneto and then the starter clutch gear. It appears that the starter clutch is inside the large gear behind the magneto. The starter motor has a small gear the meshes with the starter clutch gear. I can't print the manual pages so that you can see whats involved. I might be able to do it from home tonight unless someone else can chime in with mor info.

Handy said:
From what I have been able to find on the starter clutch is that you do NOT pull the starter motor. The starter clutch is accessed through the magneto cover on the end of the engine behind the oil tank. You have to remove the oil tank, then the magneto cover, the magneto and then the starter clutch gear. It appears that the starter clutch is inside the large gear behind the magneto. The starter motor has a small gear the meshes with the starter clutch gear. I can't print the manual pages so that you can see whats involved. I might be able to do it from home tonight unless someone else can chime in with mor info.

Looking at the parts fiche it looks like that is the way to do it. Waiting for someone to confirm though before I start just to be safe.

Out of curiosity did you run car oil (energy conserving) in your sled? I remember reading that Yamaha said not to because it would cause the starter to slip.

Here is a way to fix your starter clutch from slipping it says to simply shorten the spring to make it fit snugger. Here is a link on how to do it. Wish I would have found this earlier as mine showed no real signs of wear on either the gear that it runs on or the sprag cam bearings but the spring was not as tight as the used one I installed. If it happens to me again I am just going to shorten the spring like it says in the link.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/Sta ... lutch.html

Back