• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

STARTER

MIDWAY

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha Viper LTX SE with Push Turbo
So my 03 RX-1 died the other day on the trail. Just clicked would not start. Jumped it and nothing. Pulled the starter and sure enough it was locked up and kind of melted inside. Connection was loose too. It was the original starter with 8500 miles. My question is why did it melt down? Was it running the whole time I was riding the sled? If so why? Ignition switch seems fine. The solenoid looks and seems good as well. I don't want to just put in a new starter if there are other issues. Thanks

Happened to my 03 Ton back in 09. It is a known problem where the starter stays engaged and melts down. I don't know if there was a real answer for cause that was consistent with all that failed. I ended up replacing the Starter and the Relay. Been riding it since with no problem.
There was a vendor that was making a led light that would show when starter is engaged. I was always meaning to get one but can't remember who it was and kinda dropped off the forum for a few years. Anybody know who it was that had the lights??
Later Jim

Your welcome, ;)! installed one on my 03, easy install, you are given enough wire with the kit to mount near key. I lengthened the wires to install next to guage cluster. Makes it easier to see

Yep that's the one. I installed mine near the key. While the starter is engaged it lights up after your engine starts and you let the key go the light will turn off. If after you start the sled and let the key go and the light stays on, your starter is still engaged. You will have to shut the engine down then disconnect power to the starter or let the battery die.

Back