• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stator Resistance

alfxc08

I am still trying to work through the problem the I ran into yesterday (detailed it at this post http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=76079 )

I checked resistance to stator (spec .19-.24 ohms) at 3 white wire plug that goes to rectifier and found it to be .5-.6 ohms. Is this far enough out of spec to have to change it/could this be the reason my rectifier burnt up?

Here are the specs from the service manual.

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

Attachments

• elec.JPG
    elec.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 243
What's your reading while shorting the meter leads ?
At this close to the bottom of the scale, lead resistance & the ZERO of the meter is not negligible. If you read .1 or .2, substract to the final result.

Also, rule of thumb is, if the 3 readings(across the 3 whites) are perfectly the same then its probably good. ..still must be reasonably close to the spec. In dought, use a second DMM for a second opignon.

Good luck..

Thanks, my meter was reading .2 ohms while shorting the leads, so that gets me a little closer to spec. Also all three of the readings were the same so I feel better about it. I am just going to put the new voltage regulator in and see what happens. Thanks again.

your welcome...
hopefully your a very unlucky one that get a bad unit... but most likely there is or was a reason for this. I recommend you double check torque and clean the bat connectors. Once you hook up the new reg, leave the DMM at the battery level before, while and after the first cranking. See what the charging system goes. These valuable info may help you troubleshoot should you are still in problem.

@alfxc08 where did you test the stator leeds at? Closer to the engine or on the harness? I have a rx warrior 2004 LE 136", not sure if yours is the same model? Also, did you have the sled running while do this test?

Last edited:

Back