• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering Relocate DIY Mod.

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
I just did a steering shaft relocate similar to what OFT offers. I was interested in purchasing the OFT kit but didn't want to spend that kind of money yet so I designed a simpler, relatively inexpensive kit. My relocation mod doesn't move the handle bars as far forward as the OFT kit but still makes a huge difference in handling and comfort. I was amazed how moving the bars forward a few inches gave the handle bars a more natural motion. My original intentions was to design and install a temporary modification to see if the OFT relocate would be worth the investment but my mod worked out better than I expected. It relocates the steering shaft about half of what the OFT kit does and it reuses the OEM bushings but you still get similar results. I highly recommend doing a steering relocation with the OFT kit or as I did. This should be the first mod on your list, it really makes a difference. If anyone wants more details PM me.

FX Nytro steering relocate pictures by grizztracks - Photobucket
http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... 0relocate/

IMG_6220.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6232-1.jpg

Version 2
IMG_6295-1.jpg

Attachments

• Steering relocate installation.pdf
    344.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

after moving the top I took a measurement at the bottom and all that was required was a 3/16" shim. I also loosened the steering loop and repositioned it slightly to make up for the small angle change. The steering doesn't bind at all and I didn't have to reset the ski alignment.

Relocating the steering shaft is one of the biggest improvements I've made to the Nytro. If you haven't done this yet put it at the top of your mod list. Get the OFT kit or try what I did, either way you'll be amazed how well it improves handling and comfort.

Damn! Another mod for me to try? Hmmm, I think so.

A few questions:
- any trimming of the upper steering column cowl to accommodate the more forward steering column? Would it help to do so?
- did you have to bend the lower steering bushing bolts like the OFT relocator?
- did you lengthen the lower steering shaft using the tie rod nuts?
- how did you do the reroute of the gas vent line? Did it reduce gas leakage when overfilling?
- do your handguards now hit your windshield?

That's why I have been calling the OFT steering relocator as #1 modification for a Nytro. I could not get comfortable on my XTX until this change. Well worth it, and highly recommended!

I think I asked this question before but didnt get an answer. This mod looks great,is it still a comfortable and great handling mod to the bars if you are not a stand up rider. ;)!

nytrose said:
I think I asked this question before but didnt get an answer. This mod looks great,is it still a comfortable and great handling mod to the bars if you are not a stand up rider. ;)!
Absolutely! I stand/sit about 50/50 and I"m only 5' 8" and have no issues with the mod when I sit. It really is a different sled now. :Rockon:

Grimm said:
Damn! Another mod for me to try? Hmmm, I think so.

A few questions:
- any trimming of the upper steering column cowl to accommodate the more forward steering column? Would it help to do so?
- did you have to bend the lower steering bushing bolts like the OFT relocator?
- did you lengthen the lower steering shaft using the tie rod nuts?
- how did you do the reroute of the gas vent line? Did it reduce gas leakage when overfilling?
- do your handguards now hit your windshield?

This is a simple mod. To install the upper relocate plates two holes need to be drilled in the existing steering mount. I used the center hole in the bolt plate to locate and drill the new holes. I did not need to reroute the cables, do any trimming, bending or steering realignment. The steering block is moved approximately 1" forward which makes standing easier and improves comfort and handling while sitting. I'm 5'8" and the bars are now positioned much better for standing or sitting. While sitting I've noticed I'm using the outer hooked portion of the bars more which gives me better control on tight trails.

The gas vent line (black fuel hose looping over the steering column) was added after I installed the trail tank. Every time I filled the 10 gallon tank it pushed a considerable amount of fuel out the line so I lengthened it and routed it up around the steering column to solve the problem.

If anyone is interested in this mod and needs more info on how to do it PM me.

Grizz, I see that instead of installing 2 plates for the upper, you fabricated a one piece solution, rounded in a hoop style. I was thinking of this after you sent me the info...is it sturdier?

Back