• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering Spindle (Steering Knuckle) on 2014 XTX

honda400ex2

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper XTX
Hi,

I have a 2014 Viper XTX, I struggle with heavy steering ever since I bought the sled, added the 160lb spring on the front shock in the rear suspension, did help but still could be better.
My brother has a Arctic Cat Xf 7000 and his does steer quite a bit easier, I know the keel of my ski is a little taller, but otherwise same single 4" carbides.

Noticed that the tie rod mounting location on his Spindle appears to be longer than mine. I measured it, and it is 1/2" longer. I checked the Part numbers on the few Yamaha models and they are different,

2014 Viper XTX
Right Spindle (Steering Knuckle) 8JR-F3521-00-00
Left Spindle (Steering Knuckle) 8JR-F3511-00-00

2014 Viper LTX
Right Spindle (Steering Knuckle) 8JP-F3521-00-00
Left Spindle (Steering Knuckle) 8JP-F3511-00-00

Does anyone know if the Spindle from a different model would fit on my XTX? The extra 1/2" length should help give more leverage for turning. I was also going to see if the Barn of Parts MPS would work on a stock spindle or if I would need to upgrade to the other style.

Attached are few pictures of the spindles, the black one is the XTX.

Thanks for the input.
IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Are you sure your sled is a 14? The 15 spring order xtx's had the old mtx spindle for whatever reason with the shorter leverage arm. I actually had to design a different MPS arm specifically for that short arm mtx spindle.

My 14 xtx had the the trail spindle with longer arm.

Are you sure your sled is a 14? The 15 spring order xtx's had the old mtx spindle for whatever reason with the shorter leverage arm. I actually had to design a different MPS arm specifically for that short arm mtx spindle.

My 14 xtx had the the trail spindle with longer arm.

I went & double checked the sticker on the sled, 10/13 was the manufacture date on it. That is weird that they had the changed the arm lengths for the spring orders. I am not sure, unless mine had the trail length arms and some one changed them to the shorter ones as I bought the sled used. I have to look at the part numbers on some of the newer models to see what they say.

I just found this same thing on my 2016 XTX SE after reading this post, for two years I've always felt the steering was a little heavy. (Spent a lot of time tweaking the suspension). May go to new ARCS front end with my upper arms needing to be replaced anyways.

Back