• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering squeeking/noise

snowxwi

Extreme
Was doing some work on the sled today and noticed when I turn the skis to the left there is a noise like something needs to be greased in the steering.

Is there anything that needs to be greased on these from time to time? If so, how easy is it to get to? The noise seems to be coming from inside where the handlebars connect to the skis.

Any advice would be helpful.

There are 4 bushings in the steering linkage that could cause this, but my money is on the one right above the chaincase in the horizontal position. You can loosen it up and squirt some grease with a needle, or spray some lithium. then tighten back up. On a side note, the other three are the ones that tend to get sloppy over time. OFT makes some very nice replacements that will take out the slop. They are billit pieces with oilite bushings from OFT instead of plastic.

Attachments

• DSC01070.JPG
    DSC01070.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 184
@ Soldier'spapa, it sounds like it's coming from the middle picture in the thread you posted.

Is that under the seat and gas tank? How much work would it be to get to this? It looks very stripped down and may be more work than I can handle.

snowxwi said:
@ Soldier'spapa, it sounds like it's coming from the middle picture in the thread you posted.

Is that under the seat and gas tank? How much work would it be to get to this? It looks very stripped down and may be more work than I can handle.
Yes it is under the seat and gas tank and is a very easy job it just takes a bit of time. Just follow the sticky at the top of the Apex page for exhaust donuts it will get you to this stage. It is time consuming but you will get a better understanding of how these machines are put together. May even get some Donuts and do them if you think you are due since you are right there anyway. Good luck.

I can almost guarantee (about 98.9%) that the steering bushings need to be greased and/or replaced depending on mileage. When I started working on my Attak this fall the steering was tight, making bad squeeking noises, and I could hardly turn the bars (with the sled up on a stand no less). I ordered and replaced the 3 large black bushings (2 piece bushings) that the steering shaft runs through, they were not expensive; don't forget the grease). Then I greased the "steering rods" up front (that go through the rubber boots) with low temp grease. It now feels like I have power steering. The job is not hard, just time consuming: removing the gas tank and putting it back is the most intimidating part of the job (unless you've removed it before).

See this post for some pics and more info:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=#1012531

Can you get to the other two without really taking anything else apart? I haven't looked at the donuts thread to see, but I'm assuming the gas needs to be completely drained to remove.

Sled has 6800 miles on it and I don't see a log that these have ever been changed. I will get the nice OFT ones and not worry about then again.

I believe the gas does not need to be drained to remove the tank. Yes the other two bushings can be replaced/greased by removing covers... but isn't it always the difficult one to get at that is causing the most trouble? Is for me at least!

At that mileage I would change the donuts if uncertain whether it's been done in the past.

The donuts were just changed last season, and because of the weather I only got 110 miles on last year so they are basically brand new. Will I be able to see what condition they are in when I get to this bushing or do I need to dig deeper to see the actual donuts?

There is a cover to remove after the tank is out. It will be difficult, though, to see the condition of the existing donuts without removing them all the way.

I'd buy the OEM, tons less money and if you grease them they'll last a long time. I had almosy 13,000 on my sled. They are priced by each side (6 make 3 bushings) at $2.09 each so you'll have a total cost of $12.50 or so plus shipping.

Back