• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stiffer front track shock spring review

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper mtx
any reviews/experience with the stiffer front track shock spring from the mountain guys?

If past experience with stiffening up the front track shock spring, it gives the sled more weight transfer to the rear- makes the front end lift. BUT it can also cause trenching in deep snow.
Curious if this is or is not the case with putting a heavier spring

Gonna find out this year. Ordered spring from StingrayMods.com
The factory spring is just way too soft.

Gonna find out this year. Ordered spring from StingrayMods.com
The factory spring is just way too soft.
FYI for anyone interested. Zbroz has different options for different weights of riders. 150-199 pound rider is a 145 pound spring.

i threw a 160lb spring on my sled which is the same rating as the stingraymods spring. Huge difference in handling and weight transfer. I will also be relocating the front mounting hole forward 1 1/4" to try that. But another big change is i am going to the 36" front end instead of the 38 on my 15 mtx. so might be to many changes at once.

I love my new 160lb spring. Huge difference, steering was way too heavy before. It's like a new sled. Other key mod was adding the pink pink pink spring to the clutch. High rev engagement was fucking ridiculous before.
With these 2 mods I went from not really liking the sled to loving it. Total game changer.

I put a 145 pound spring in, it was good but bottoming out. So I put more tension on it(tighten the adjustment collars) and steering went to crap. It would just push and not turn. Not sure how that happens because the more center shock tension means more weight transfer-lighter front end. Unless it was not enough ski pressure, but I don’t think that’s the case....

Last edited:
I put a 145 pound spring in, it was good but bottoming out. So I put more tension on it(tighten the adjustment collars) and steering went to crap. It would just push and not turn. Not sure how that happens because the more center shock tension means more weight transfer-lighter front end. Unless it was not enough ski pressure, but I don’t think that’s the case....
I am not an expert, but I can only imagine this would be caused by not enough ski pressure?

I’ve read this chassis is sensitive to shock adjustments/shock packages.... appears to be true

I’ve read this chassis is sensitive to shock adjustments/shock packages.... appears to be true
I am very happy with the Cannondale spring. Was a game changer for the sled.

It's a Balancing act, you could try a bit more pressure on the rear shock to help keep the front planted too. On My XTX I have the 160# spring and run ~110psi in the rear float with ~210# of Rider+gear and I have NO issues with pushing with the Cat ski or Powder Pros but have noticeably more inside ski lift on trails. I can't comment on trenching, only have 141x1.75 so its going to trench but if lifts/carves far better than it did stock.

I just ordered a stiffer spring from Zbroz.
I love the sled so far. Just not huge on the ski pressure as I primarily ride trees. The guy I bought the sled off had cr racing kiss coupler and I pulled that out.
Set front shocks about 125/60#
Set rear skid at 120#
Just waiting on new spring.
Any other recommendations as far as set up?
Thanks

I just ordered a stiffer spring from Zbroz.
I love the sled so far. Just not huge on the ski pressure as I primarily ride trees. The guy I bought the sled off had cr racing kiss coupler and I pulled that out.
Set front shocks about 125/60#
Set rear skid at 120#
Just waiting on new spring.
Any other recommendations as far as set up?
Thanks

small adjustments make a big difference. You will just have to adjust it to find the setting that works for you

small adjustments make a big difference. You will just have to adjust it to find the setting that works for you
Sounds good. I was also curious if anyone has tried mounting the front idler wheels (by the front skid shock) on the inside of the skid. Or if it’s even possible. Similar to what skidoo did on the Xm chassis.
Thanks.

Back