• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Still getting oil in the air box

SR Viper

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Sr Viper XTX, 2007 Apex RTX, 2006 Nytro ER, 1989 Phazer, 1985 Sno scoot, 1980 ET 250
Hey guys I am still getting oil in the air box. I have not over filled it and I have a new oil/water seporator and it is the updated one. I have an air box mod and full exhaust as well as a power commander and ECU flash. has anyone else had this problem and how have you fixed it. Thanks for your help.

My 2016 viper sprays oil all over the outside of the air box have to fill it up every couple hundred miles. I was told it is coming out a vent tube because I'm riding it to hard. I highly doubt that is the reason. I haven't checked to see if there is any inside though.

There is a tube on right upper of air box that’s just stuck in a grommet could that have come out? Or look for a leak in one of the lines. Short of that it’s got to be something mechanical. You are not riding it to hard. That’s just nonsense. Do you have turbo on it?

I've seen a film of oil on mine but nothing significant. Cannondale, you think the film is just mild blow back from a vent tube?

I get a lot of oil in the air box, so much that it leaks out of the bottom and sides of my sled and makes a mess. I have to add oil before every ride and the amount of oil I add depends on how long I had it out on the previous ride. I do tend to ride pretty hard but I have another Viper and its fine, and the Nytros never had this problem and it seems to be certain Vipers that have this problem.

I get a lot of oil in the air box, so much that it leaks out of the bottom and sides of my sled and makes a mess. I have to add oil before every ride and the amount of oil I add depends on how long I had it out on the previous ride. I do tend to ride pretty hard but I have another Viper and its fine, and the Nytros never had this problem and it seems to be certain Vipers that have this problem.
Could be a stuck ring or bad cylinder coating. Ever do a compression or leak down test? Also take a look in tank sight glass while it’s running. What’s oil level?

There is a tube on right upper of air box that’s just stuck in a grommet could that have come out? Or look for a leak in one of the lines. Short of that it’s got to be something mechanical. You are not riding it to hard. That’s just nonsense. Do you have turbo on it?
I don't have a turbo on it just headers.

I don't have a turbo on it just headers.
Check the tube. Then I would clean the oil separator. Is a thread in FAQ on the issues it can cause if the ball in there sticks. Just to reiterate a slight film of oil in box is normal. Running out is not especially if to point of having to add oil. I can put 3000mi on and not have to add any with 10000mi on engine.

What year is the sled and does it have a sight glass in the oil tank? I have a 2014 with a sight glass and my father in-law has a 2016 with no sight glass. His kept blowing oil out his air box also. so i actually took his dipstick and put it in my sled and with it half in the sight glass it barely touched the bottom of the dip stick, so i sucked some oil out of his to match the level of mine and the problem was solved. on his 2016 you can see where the casting was for a sight glass and i could tell it was way above that!
my opinion is the dip stick in my father in-laws sled is wrong!

Just a tip here.... To never wounder if your sled has hi or low oil levels I always upon a complete oil and filter change refill with whatever the manual states to put in volume wise ... run for a few min then check and thats the level on the dipstick or window i keep. My yamaha road bike would have ya over filling it if you filled it to the above half the veiwing window and slight blow back will show in the air box...

Just a tip here.... To never wounder if your sled has hi or low oil levels I always upon a complete oil and filter change refill with whatever the manual states to put in volume wise ... run for a few min then check and thats the level on the dipstick or window i keep. My yamaha road bike would have ya over filling it if you filled it to the above half the veiwing window and slight blow back will show in the air box...
I do same thing. Good tips guys.

Maybe not reading oil level correctly without sightglass? Note the dipstick is Screwed in when checking. This is in FAQ.
NOTES ABOUT READING OIL LEVEL:
• Correct procedure for reading oil level.
• Level is always read by screwing the cap all the way in, then removed.
• Start with a cool vehicle on flat / level ground.
• Start vehicle and warm up for a few minutes (manual says till fan comes on). Typically once water has reached 150+deg F it is warm and variances from temp are gone.
• Shut motor off.
• Wait at least 30 sec, but no more than 90 sec to read oil level.

• Huge oil level reading variations have been observed. They are TIME & TEMPERATURE dependent.
• Highest level observed on warm motor with-in 60sec of shut-down.
• Level drops 60cc within 1 minute of above condition (would cause over-fill if customer used this reading).
• Lowest level observed on cold motor after only 30sec of run time (would cause 235cc over-fill).
• Oil level on cold motor and no run time is a little low (would cause 150cc over-fill)
• Reading oil level without screwing dip stick all the way in causes about 175cc over-fill in addition to above conditions.

When I first got my sled I topped it up like I did my apex and it blew oil everywhere! Followed the above directions and never had an issue again even with turbo and open vent, and I ride it hard!

Back