• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Tuner Skis Worth Anything?

Bcstang33

Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX1
Just bought a brand new 2016 Yamaha LTX DX and took it out yesterday for the first time and noticed alot of push in the corners as many people on this forum have described. Started reading the forums last night and it sounds like the curve skis seam to be the ticket for these sleds. First questions is who has the best deal on the curves and what model do you recommend? I do mostly trail riding but don't mind going off trail every once in awhile. Second question would be are the stock tuner skis worth anything?

Stock tuner's can be found for $120 pair new, not worth selling, keep them to put back on when you sell the sled, curve's are the answer as I hear.

Last edited:
check your pm's

Hi, Newbie here, I just got my 2015 Demo Model SRViper LTX DX, and I was actually wondering the same thing regarding what model Curve and best price I can get them for... thanks! Charlie

What did you guys end up doing?

Just bought a brand new 2016 Yamaha LTX DX and took it out yesterday for the first time and noticed alot of push in the corners as many people on this forum have described. Started reading the forums last night and it sounds like the curve skis seam to be the ticket for these sleds. First questions is who has the best deal on the curves and what model do you recommend? I do mostly trail riding but don't mind going off trail every once in awhile. Second question would be are the stock tuner skis worth anything?

Looking at doing the same thing just looking for the best price.

Sold my tuners on eBay for 100 bucks. Put pilot 6.9 on my rtx with shaper bars after it was all said and done it only cost 200 bucks and the sled handles great on trail and floats decently off trail too

Man, you might want to at least try some upgraded carbides before you jump to new skis, the 2" stock inner carbides are worthless. It makes no sense that they come that way from the factory ad they should have been 6" at least especially if you are studded

Countless others have tried "tuning" the tuners and it just does not work unless maybe if you are a slow sit down rider.

If you open the rebound on the rear skid shock they do work much better, but still nothing to brag about.

I switched to Curves and 4" Shapers last season. With the original symmetrical rubbers I had a bit of darting particularly on deceleration so I am trying the new asymmetrical rubbers. Pending my results: If I were purchasing Curves today I would be sure that you get the latest asymmetrical rubbers. Barn of Parts had some really good deals on the skis. The saddle bolts are too long oin the install kits so I would just get a pair of 10 mmx 130mm stainless bolts and zinc nylocks.

Had the dealer put 6"/2" carbides on when I first picked it. Found it pushed n the corners as many described. At first service had the dealer tighten limiter straps 1 hole. Better but still not quite right. Then the other day noticed the skis were installed in the narrow setting. Moved the spacers to the opposite setting to get the wider stance. Just back from a 80km ride and what a difference. Goes were its pointed, no push, no darting and steering is not heavy. I am a happy camper. I'll save my cash for the AC Cross Tour windshield with the mirror kit. Now if we can just get the ECU flash fixed for the speedo life will be perfect.

I have always been a big believer that there is a ski that works best on every sled.
on my apex I tried stock apex skis, pilot 6.9 skis, usi triple threats with stage 2 fins and powersteering plates, and simmons flexi skis. I tried multiple variations of carbides and multiple suspension settings until I settled on the simmons with dual 6 inch shaper bars and believed that was the ticket for me.
I can honestly say I spent close to 3 years tinkering before I found what worked best for me

then I purchased my 14 viper.
once again I am on the 3rd year with it. I have tried the stock cat skis, stock Yamaha apex skis, simmons flexi skis. pilot 6.9 skis and the usi triple threats. once again I have tried multiple suspension settings and multiple carbides.
O all the possible combinations, I found the pilot 6.9 skis seemed to be the ticket for my riding needs on this particular sled.

this past summer after reading multiple rave reviews, I decided I would try snow trackers on the stock cat skis.
I mounted aggressive snow trackers to the stock cat skis and at the same time tried out the $40 dollar cat dual stage spring on the front skid shock.
I cranked up the adjuster on the front shock some so I would have light steering, no other changes were made to the sled.
all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!! I had absolutely no friggin idea that these snow trackers could work the way they do.
there is absolutely ZERO darting. I swear. ZERO. the steering is incredibly light. they hold a line, take the corners at speed. unbelievable is all I can say.
so far I have used them for 500 miles in loose snow, fresh snow, on ice, in parking lots and on streets. and just last weekend I finally tried them on a freshly groomed trail. incredible is all I can say so far.
I HAVE NOT tried them on rock hard packed trails, so there is still a chance they might let me down, but I am doubting it will happen.
in my opinion, the snow trackers are the real deal. they seem to do everything well. I have never had such light and precise steering. and the best part of it is, I can still adjust my front shock for more or less steering pressure if I need it.

when I look back on all the money I have invested in skis, carbides, mounting kits, etc I get a little upset.
no ski I have ever owned has ever impressed me the way a set of snow trackers has. just my observation

I am with you RTX - I bought a used 2014 XTX and put SLP Mohawks on it. I took the XTX's Arctic Cat skis and put them on my LTX DX with semi-aggressive Snow Trackers. It was "Win, Win" all the way around. The XTX handles better than ever, and the LTX handles better than ever. My stepson has ridden the LTX more than I have since the swap, and he says there is some push in loose snow,(the aggressive should obviously hold better). I rode it on hard-packed conditions and it was just like a freight train on rails. I know that there are a lot of great aftermarket skis out there, but for what it is worth, I think anyone who wants a good trail ski for their Viper should seriously consider buying pair of Arctic Cat single keel skis and mounting Snow Trackers, it will probably be cheaper, and probably work as well or better.

Stock tuner skies suck, just bite the bullet and get some aftermarkets.

Back