• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stripped Nytro Oil Can Drain Hole

Matthew457

Expert
Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro xtx
Well I was just changing my oil and the drain plug bolt just wanted to keep tightening. Was only using a small little 1/4 inch driver and even with that I over tightened and stripped the bolt hole. Luckily the can only takes 5 min to take off so I can get it re threaded. Should I just bring the can to get re threaded somewhere or is it pretty easy to do? Just don’t know what size to use to thread it and if it’s even worth buying the bit rather than just getting someone to re thread it. Never have threaded something before so I have no clue. Where could I get it re threaded? Anyone else have this happen? Best option? Thanks much!

I will check mine, not sure what you have for extra metal to drill oversize and tap. Easy to over tighten oil fill bolts as they are well lubricated. I have used a tap on many cross threaded holes to clean them up, always best if you don't have to go oversize. How bad is it, any material left to retap?

It ripped out a few threads. There should be lots of metal to tap one size larger bolt. Don’t see how there couldn’t be. Canadian Tire has a maximum 86 pc tap and die set on sale for 80 regular 200 so I’m going to pick that up tomorrow. Worth it to have for sure, exspecially for that price! Will tap a new thread and find a new larger bolt for it, thinking it should be pretty easy to do. Better than buying a new can as they are $250 plus tax.

Should I just bring the can to get re threaded somewhere or is it pretty easy to do? Just don’t know what size to use to thread it and if it’s even worth buying the bit rather than just getting someone to re thread it. Never have threaded something before so I have no clue. Best option? Thanks much!

Answered your own question.
Find a local garage / shop, drop 'em a couple of bucks..... Booger it up bad enough and your probally gonna be left with buying a new tank.
My .02

Answered your own question.
Find a local garage / shop, drop 'em a couple of bucks..... Booger it up bad enough and your probally gonna be left with buying a new tank.
My .02
Have you used taps before? Watched some vids and they’re easy to use. just get them started straight and slow and keep lubricated and they make an easy clean thread. Every full turn go back a 1/2 turn so clear out metal shavings. Just remembered that I have used them once before in high school shops, they do a good job.

So I got a tap set and got it all done. Went from a 12 mm to a 14. The size difference left lots of room to dig deep for new threads and it worked great. Right now I have a bolt that’s about and inch and a 1/4 long or so, probably 3X longer than the one that comes with the oil can but works great. Shouldn’t matter that it’s longer. Tightens right up nicely and holds great. Just got to get a new copper washer or was probably just going to drill the old one a little larger for the 14 mm bolt. Any ways, easy fix and would suggest for anyone else with the same probably to also do it. Stripped oil can drain seems pretty bad but it’s quite the easy fix expecially that it only takes 2 min to take off the nytro oil can.

Have you used taps before? Watched some vids and they’re easy to use. just get them started straight and slow and keep lubricated and they make an easy clean thread. Every full turn go back a 1/2 turn so clear out metal shavings. Just remembered that I have used them once before in high school shops, they do a good job.
Exactly. Practice on a piece of aluminum if you can. Most people fail due to trying to tap too far (i.e. More than one half turn) without clearing the tap by reversing out like you do when drilling a deep hole in wood when you reverse to clear out the wood chips. Start square, oil the tap and clear the shavings, and you should be good. A machine shop will do it for short dollars too.

So I got a tap set and got it all done. Went from a 12 mm to a 14. The size difference left lots of room to dig deep for new threads and it worked great. Right now I have a bolt that’s about and inch and a 1/4 long or so, probably 3X longer than the one that comes with the oil can but works great. Shouldn’t matter that it’s longer. Tightens right up nicely and holds great. Just got to get a new copper washer or was probably just going to drill the old one a little larger for the 14 mm bolt. Any ways, easy fix and would suggest for anyone else with the same probably to also do it. Stripped oil can drain seems pretty bad but it’s quite the easy fix expecially that it only takes 2 min to take off the nytro oil can.
Great job!

Good work. You already know ,but make sure the reservoir is clean now!! Hard to beat learning new things and gaining experience imo,even when it sometimes comes at a cost or mistake.

Yea I rinsed out the whole can so should be good to go
Good work. You already know ,but make sure the reservoir is clean now!! Hard to beat learning new things and gaining experience imo,even when it sometimes comes at a cost or mistake.

Back